Tap tails onto compression fittings?

I learned something this week....

If i'm connecting a screw on tap tail to, for example, an isolator valve i'll use a both end compression one and do away with the nut and olive on one end.

But you're supposed to get a specific one with a flatter end. This was news to me (not enormously surprising) and news to the guys at the local hardware store (perhaps moreso).

Anyway they didn't have any so i'm using normal ones as usual, is this an issue?

Reply to
R D S

Or use an adapter

Andy Burns

Or a short it of 15mm pipe.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Not in my experience, I have done similar for many years and never had a problem.

(the argument against doing it is that the end of the service valve will not have a suitable flat area for the washer to seal against. IME this is not the case, and the end area of a service valve is much the same as that of a "made for the job" tap connector)

Reply to
John Rumm

Or take 1/2mm off the compression fitting with a flat grinding wheel and lap it a bit on a stone or wet and dry?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

John Rumm snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

People will no doubt use loads of PTFE tape in the assumption that the threads are the seal.

Reply to
John