Tap: gear slips on spindle

A problem with my bathroom basin tap. Turn the tap and nothing happens. On dismantling the top of the tap, I find that the tap head locates onto a plastic connector which then fits onto the brass spindle. The inside of the custom plastic connector is worn and is "slipping" on the spindle.

About the plastic connector -- one end locates to a star-shaped cavity underneath the tap head, the other end locates over the spindle and has grooves inside which match the spindle grooves. The grooves are worn.

Any ideas? Is the star-shaped plastic connector a standard part. If not, I will need to buy another pair of tap heads. The tap is a common round top, rotate to open, type from the 1980s, but with a fancy marble-effect spherical head. I can not turn the brass spindle by hand. Should I be able to do this?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Are you particularly attached to the taps?

My standard procedure when repairing washers and heads on taps is:

  1. Remove tap.
  2. Install new ceramic cartridge tap.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Simple cure is to buy a coouple of adapt-a-taps from your local shed.

These are sold in order for you to fit a new "top" including "valve" to an existing tap. AFAIK the only styles available are crosshead, or crome or clear acrylic.

I went for crosshead to replace the nasty looking clear acrylic on the taps in our house.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

If your too tight to replace taps then... fit the star shape over the tap and drill a small hole (through star shape and spindle) the size of a nail, obtain a nail and cut flush with star shape, fit hand piece back over and screw back.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

So the nail fits in the spindle and turns it...I might try this. I'm just averse to junking a pair of tap heads because a small plastic gear has failed. But I don't think they are sold separately from the tap head.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Is it a white plastic thing that sits on top of the spindle ? I was sent some free by plumbworld in the late 80's for the taps in our last house. I will have a look in the shed tonight, I might still have a couple.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cross

Yes. The bottom part is tubular and slips over the brass spindle and is ribbed so that it grips the spindle. The upper section is star-shaped and locks into a cavity under the tap head.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Find who overtightens the taps and give them some corrective training. Also ensure the washers are in good order to deter such damaging behaviours to other taps.

If you are feeling really benevolent then lubricate the tap mechanism.

John

Reply to
john

The actual tap body mechanism is OK as far as I can see. Its not leaking or anything. The tap turner mechanism is slipping.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Had a look but couldn't find 'em, I think I may have left them behind with the taps when we moved. Why not ring plumbworld and explain what they are, they might send you some like they did for me.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cross

Thanks, Pete. I'll do that. Is there a correct name for these plastic connectors? Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Got a replacement from PlumbCenter. Two for 2.50. From Armitage Shanks

-- a name you can trust.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps