basin tap repair

Hello,

What is the brass bit inside a tap that does all of the work called?

I had to replace a washer on a dripping hot tap yesterday. It was very difficult to unscrew. After I had removed it, I found the thread was damaged. I wasn't sure whether I would have to buy a new one but it seems to have screwed back ok.

The screw holding the washer was green. Sounds like the hard water had corroded it (copper carbonate?). I cleaned the head and unscrewed it but when I screwed it back, the cross head sheared off.

I would like to replace this screw. is there somewhere you can buy small brass screws? What about the whole brass body? Cant hey be bought?

The nearest I can find it a "tap reviver", like this:

always thought they were just new handles but the photos look as thought they contain the brass internals as well. I'm not sure why you would need the brass bit if you only wanted to renew the handles and looking at the cost of the revivers against a pair of taps, I'm not sure why you wouldn't change the whole thing rather than just the handles! Wouldn't you end up with shiny handles and a tarnished spout otherwise!?

Are all taps the same size or is there a possibility that the revivers would not match your tap?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Jumper or headgear.

B&Q sell the jumpers but its prolly cheaper to by the SF kit.

They do. See above.

Pretty much all the same. Some of the reviver kits have loads of adaptors, but I've never used them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the informative reply.

Reply to