Tank Size

I need to reduce the width of an airing cupboard to fit a new bath. Presently, the width of the cupboard is set by the width of a roughly 45 gal tank in the top of the cupboard.At the bottom of said cupboard is a (primatic) hot water cylinder about 25 gallons. My question to the group is can I reduce the size of the cold tank so I am able to reduce the cupboard width and get my new bath in.By the way, the bath does not get used as much as the elec shower (direct off main) and we dont take baths when the washing machine is on as theres not enough hot water. Yours in anticipation Ed

Reply to
Ed D Ball

one of these in the loft and do away with the cylinder, tank and airing cupboard altogether.

Reply to
Phil L

would it be compatible with my old heating system ?

Reply to
Ed D Ball

How is the water heated inside the tank?- - I assumed it was electric and a fortic mentioned above would have sufficed, but not if the water is stored there after being heated in a boiler.

Reply to
Phil L

the Fortic tank, it seems the cold side can be quite a bit smaller than the hot tank, this kind of leads me to think that my 25 gal hot tank can be fed from a cold tank less than 25 gal .Thanks for the quick reply. Ed

Reply to
Ed D Ball

The header tank doesn't even need to be in the airing cupboard, it can go in the loft, providing it's on good solid timbers, not insulated below (to allow warm air to rise up underneath it) and has well insulated sides and lid...plastic ones are very cheap, and no, they don't need to contain anything like the volume of the storage tank...they have 15 gallon ones here for less than £20:

to pay about £30 for fittings, plus the cost of a plumber, or someone like me who isn't a plumber but does it anyway!

Reply to
Phil L

|Ed D Ball wrote: |> I need to reduce the width of an airing cupboard to fit a new bath. |> Presently, the width of the cupboard is set by the width of a roughly |> 45 gal tank in the top of the cupboard.At the bottom of said cupboard |> is a (primatic) hot water cylinder about 25 gallons. My question to |> the group is can I reduce the size of the cold tank so I am able to |> reduce the cupboard width and get my new bath in.By the way, the bath |> does not get used as much as the elec shower (direct off main) and we |> dont take baths when the washing machine is on as theres not enough |> hot water. |> Yours in anticipation |> Ed | |

|Stick one of these in the loft and do away with the cylinder, tank and |airing cupboard altogether.

I did that. It is works well.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

|I need to reduce the width of an airing cupboard to fit a new bath. |Presently, the width of the cupboard is set by the width of a roughly 45 gal |tank in the top of the cupboard.At the bottom of said cupboard is a |(primatic) hot water cylinder about 25 gallons. My question to the group is |can I reduce the size of the cold tank so I am able to reduce the cupboard |width and get my new bath in.By the way, the bath does not get used as much |as the elec shower (direct off main) and we dont take baths when the washing |machine is on as theres not enough hot water. |Yours in anticipation

I just put a new big tank in the loft. It gave me more water storage and head. Remember to insulate *round* the tank, but not *underneath* the tank. Try to get the new tank on top of a wall so that the weight is well supported.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Wow. Where can I get one like that to replace my Mrs. ? :¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

Primatic cylinders are a disaster, you probably want to replace that too before your central heating system rots away. If you are replacing the lot, consider installing a mains pressure system, such as an unvented cylinder or heatbank. Costs (a lot) more money, but means you have lashings of mains hot water and excellent showers if your mains water supply is any good. Replacing the cylinder will also give you the opportunity to fit one that actually supplies your needs, too.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle