Talking of batteries

No, but a vacuum that will only allow you to vacuum half a room before waiting several hours to recharge isn't very useful. 6 minutes is enough to do a room (or two) which is what these are intended for - cleaning up as you go, rather than a whole house spring clean.

If they sold a vacuum with a 1 minute runtime, people would be returning it as not fit for purpose - ie worse than nothing. A certain minimum runtime is needed for it to be a useful product.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

It suggests they are using a totally crap battery. But it is after all Die-soon...

RC models can discharge a battery in 2 minutes, THAT gets hot all right.

30 minute discharge is a very very mild rate.

Well I would regularly pull that sort of current out of a 2Ah flight battery. With no especial cooling.

By far the more likely explanation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thought it was a hand held device? Mostly used for cleaning up spills, stairs, etc?

Ah - I was basing it on the 20-30 minutes continuous stated earlier.

So just how quickly does the battery get too hot to touch?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Nothing wrong with the battery, IME. We've had a DC-35 for about 8 years, it's performed as expected over that time. Originally I'd use it for the listed 15 minutes (on normal power, 6 if you used the overdrive setting) after which it needed recharging. It's never got hot and it went straight back on charge every time - the charger is part of the thing you hang it up on under the stairs.

Battery power is, now, quite a bit reduced. I did try an Amazon replacement but it didn't work particularly well so I returned it and got my money back. Dyson doesn't sell replaement batteries for that model any longer, sad to say.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's hand held, but powerful enough to do whole rooms. Comes with floor brush wand attachments to use it like an upright.

Many people have them as the only vacuum, eg if you live in a flat you may not have space for a big mains vacuum.

30 mins is 'normal' mode, which I find a bit feeble. Probably fine for basic stuff, but not getting cat hair out of the carpet (the electric brushes are very good for that).

It doesn't, the outside gets warm. But then it's a sealed plastic casing, so the batteries could be roasting inside and the plastic would take a while to conduct the heat. Because there's only 6 minutes runtime on peak power, I don't know how long the time lag is before you can feel max temperature on the outside.

I just put it down somewhere conspicuous, go and do somewhere else, and then plug it in when I next come back. Means it's always cooled when I put it on charge.

Theo

Reply to
Theo