Suspicious stain on paving slab

With the respite in the rain the last few days (hasn't rained since Thursday) all of our patio (18"x18" slabs) is dry.

Except a small patch on one slab. Which rather worringly looks to be over the line of the drain pipe from the external drain by the side of the house, to where it joins the inspection pit with the manhole cover about

2.5m away.

(I know it goes into this pit, as I remove the cover to empty my caravan loo, so can see the pipe). The pipes a 1960s ceramic type.

Before I start lifting slabs, and excavating, is it possible that a cracked or damaged pipe could cause an upward dampness like this ? Is there any easy repair, or (assuming it is damaged) is the proper job to replace the entire length of pipe ? Would folks say the hardest part of the job is digging the old pipe free, or actually replacing the pipe ?

As always, TIA guys ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

How deep is the drain pipe?

Really the only way to know for sure is to have a look, and the easiest way to do that is with a camera, either by getting someone to do a camera survey, or buying/hiring somthing yourself.

If it is just cracked, or has root ingress on a join, the drain can be lined with a resin liner, but I think that is out of the DIY scope.

It may be covered under your house insurance.

If the drains are running free, I would be inclided to leave it and see if it stays like this long term before digging anything up.

Reply to
Toby

Well in the inspection chamber the pipes about 18-24" under the surface. So rising from that to meet the drain.

There's no trees near it - although from what I understand roots can travel quite a bit.

Hmmm hadn't thought of that.

As far as I can tell drain is running free. Pouring a bucket of water down it results in water out the other end !

Maybe, as an experiment, I'll swap slabs ... at least the Mrs will think I'm doing *something*.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That's a good idea, you dont happen to use a BBQ where this patch is do you, just thinking it could be fat that has soaked into the slab rather than water?

Reply to
Toby

You would only get water on the surface if the drain was blocked. So first thing is to get the cover up and pour water down the drain and see if you can see it passing through the manhole.

If so leave it be for a while at least. The water may be a temporary spring or from a mains water pipe.

Reply to
harry

There's not a dripping gutter above the damp patch is there?

Reply to
Nige Danton

Or a net curtain visible where the MILF next door strips off?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher