Super glue questions

The pros use it as well. The low viscosity glue has the advantage of wicking into fine cracks, and also being absorbed into the wood fibres, adding some extra strength and durability to cross grain sections of the turning.

Reply to
John Rumm

As does cellulose lacquer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt that you can find anyone in the world that makes turned pens that uses cellulose lacquer, they do however use other finishes.

Reply to
FMurtz
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Well not being a wood turner I will have to bow to your greater experience. Just reporting what all the wood turners I know have told me...

Reply to
John Rumm

About 60 years ago, was a keen balsa basher (model aircraft). Field repairs would have been so much easier (even feasible) if only we'd had superglue in those days - not only for almost instant repairs to broken wings, but also for the backs of fingers that got deeply slashed by the propeller when trying to flick-start a 'difficult' diesel engine.

Reply to
Ian Jackson
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I still bash balsa though havent had too much time recently.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wish that DermaBond (2-Octyl cyanoacrylate) was easier and cheaper to get hold of, as I'm told it is the bee's knees for dealing with 'winter skin' cracks that open up round fingernails, which is a recurrent irritating problem I have.

Considering you can get ordinary (Ethyl cyanoacrylate) superglue in pound shops, the difference is breathtaking.

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Seems you're not alone

Andy Burns

So it looks like I'm not the only one who suffers from this apparently minor condition!

But 'irritating' these splits ain't. They are actually exceedingly painful, and can be quite disabling. They can be quite deep, and often seem to start beneath the skin, then work their way to the surface. The tip of the affected digit then hurts like hell - especially if you touch anything with it.

Although people often laugh at me when I tell them about using superglue for fixing these splits, I have been using it ages. Some varieties are easier to use than others. Probably the best choice is one of medium viscosity, and which 'goes off' quickly to form the artificial scab. But the effect is amazing. The pain is gone almost immediately, and the split heals up in a day or two.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

bear in mind that superglue was developed to hold wounds together (another military spin off), so it's doing its proper job.

Reply to
charles

Are you sure that?s not a fungal infection? Easily treated with generic anti-fungal (Clotrimazole) cream?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And/or dermatitis, treatable with hydrocorisone cream (or stronger meds from a doctor).

Both are worth trying.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Id not heard ofd 'winter skin' before and a quick googles suggests it's caused by excessive loss of moisure too much washing, not much sweaing etc etc.

But THEN if the skin cracks that renders it liable to infection and thats where I think te cracks are coming from

Basically you have three potential problems on top of dry slkin

- fungal - Clotrimazole

- bacterial - use germolene or similar

- allergic - use hydrocortisone

I think all are fundamentally available from any pharmacy without a prescription and the pharmacist will probably take one look and give you the right one

I get periodic bours of fungal crap - toes, and hand nails, and 'dhobi itch'.

The cream fixes it completely in a day or two

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ian Jackson used his keyboard to write :

I used to suffer from them quite a lot. I used to work in a lot of unheated buildings and sometimes out in the cold weather on intricate tasks. Maybe my pain threshold is high, but they were more an annoyance to me, than a major source of pain.

I did try that on cuts, when it first appeared. I would describe the pain from that, as much worse that that of a split i the finger tip.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I got 5 litre of acetone off e-bay OK.

Reply to
swldxer1958

In message <q0oa30$t19$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> writes

With mine, I can go to bed all hale and hearty - but in the middle of the night I'm aware of an increasing discomfort in a finger-tip. By the morning, the split has worked its way to the surface.

Even when the split is an open crevice, the application of superglue only 'nips' for a second or two - and then rapidly subsides as the glue goes off.

As I said, the superglue only nips for a few seconds. It's usually less painful the split has been beforehand.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Tried ordering hydrogen peroxide at the same time?

Reply to
newshound

And now you can not even buy ether for your diesel.

Reply to
FMurtz