sunshield for satnav

In message , Bill Wright writes

Impressive :-)

Reply to
Bill

Very neat. However, I'm not sure it meets the requirements for avoiding sharp items you might get impaled on.

My first Tom Tom went dim after an upgrade (general problem widely experienced, but denied by the manufacturer) so I fashioned a hood from black felt stiffened by foam and held on by velcro.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Bill Wright scribbled...

What sun ?

Reply to
Jabba

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

I don't think the manufacturers are too bothered either, given their intention is that we glue them to the windscreen with spit.

Reply to
Graham.

I think you are missing the point (accidental pun) that, apart from directly behind the steering wheel, items in a car interior are required to have a minimum external radius of 2.5 mm.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Doubtless works a treat - but make sure you don't cut your head on it in the event of an accident!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I am always amaised at the places some people like to fit their sat-navs, like the geometric centre of their windscreen. What are they thinking? It would annoy the hell out of me.

Reply to
Graham.

I figured the whole unit would fall back on impact, as the plastic stand is the weak link. Also I made sure there were no sharp edges. And it's no worse than the rest of the stuff in the cab.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Were I bothered I would run some grommet strip around the front edge.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Incidentally, has anyone wondered why I have the top surface of the satnav exposed?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I assumed it was so not to block the GPS sensor.

An electronics magazine many years ago made some oscilloscope sun hoods using cut down black plastic flowerpots.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

So you can switch it on. So as not to block the magic rays from the satellites.

Reply to
Graham.

No.

Reply to
Johny B Good

On 23 May 2014, Bill Wright grunted:

Just getting a 404 error here...

Reply to
Lobster

Try

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On 24 May 2014, Bill Wright grunted:

Ah, thanks. Very pretty! :)

Reply to
Lobster

I'm beginning to think it was a waste of effort, hasn't stopped raining since!

Reply to
Capitol