Scotchlite Sign

Hi chaps,

I want to make a name plate for my house, the font i want to use is this one-

I was thinking this would look ace at night on 3M scotchlite, but how to make it work? I don't think on can print on scotchlite. Maybe print the black and shading on some transparent film and place it over some scotch lite?

Any other ideas?

Ta

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

I think over-filming dramatically reduces the reflectivity of Scotchlite and similar glass bead finishes - even getting it wet does.

You'd probably be better getting it cut out of Reflexite on a vinyl cutter.

You might be able to diy it with a scalpel if the letters are large enough

And edit the font to the main letter outlines and remove the internal shading effects.

Or use 'silver' leaf gilding which is fairly reflective.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Does this give you any ideas?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

As a general rule, dark letters on a lit background are easier to read than lit letters on a dark background. The simplest answer might, therefore, be to use self-adhesive vinyl letters on a piece of Scotchlite.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I'd already alluded to this project of yours in the earlier Yodel thread a few days back. If, as I suggested, you've started a new trend, it'll make evening deliveries a lot more practical. :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

I think over-filming dramatically reduces the reflectivity of Scotchlite and similar glass bead finishes - even getting it wet does.

You'd probably be better getting it cut out of Reflexite on a vinyl cutter.

You might be able to diy it with a scalpel if the letters are large enough

And edit the font to the main letter outlines and remove the internal shading effects.

Or use 'silver' leaf gilding which is fairly reflective.

Owain

The silver gilding is an idea for a daytime sign, it will be shiny and look a little like its is frosty.

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Does this give you any ideas?

Bill

Thats an option, but id prefer it not to be lit up, thats why id like a solution using something highly reflective like scotchlite. What i want is for someone driving down the lane to see it lit up in their headlights.

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

But what about a burglar working without a torch? He might get the wrong address.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright