Stripped screwhead on laptop motherboard

With a screw that small a technique which often works is firstly to find the right screwdriver - note that there are at least two cross head types and Posidrive don't reliably fit Phillips and vice versa. Laptop is likely to be Phillips.

Clean both the screw head and screwdriver end thoroughly with Isopropanol (this wont hurt any components). Let them dry. Put a tiny drop of Superglue on the screw head (you do not want any spilling over the side of the screw head) and insert the screwdriver. Press down firmly and maintain very firm pressure without moving the screwdriver for at least a minute. Without letting up on the very firm pressure turn the screw to undo.

Reply to
Peter Parry

In message , larkim writes

You need to be an octopus to do this but if you have a decent, sharp set of wire cutters, put a screwdriver in the screw head, nip the head of the screw with the cutters so the cutters are vertical with the screwdriver between the handles, then turn the cutters and driver at the same time.

Soldering iron and melt out the brass insert the screw is likely to be into if it's holding to the motherboard. If it is into a brass insert then it's likely to be cross threaded anyway.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Do keep up at the back - somebody has.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Roger R writes

I'm surprised you missed the post which I managed to resist ...

Reply to
geoff

I was going to suggest the pressure washer, but only if the laptop needed a really good clean. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Success!!

Brought laptop into work (where IT department has tools-a-plenty) and a pair of grippy needle-nosed pliers did the job quite quickly in the end.

Glad I had to do nothing more traumatic!

Matt

Reply to
larkim