Strange beetle

In article , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com scribeth thus

I had a rather tasty dish at a wedding reception the other year in France, all nine courses, and was offered some more of the same which was duly accepted..

Wondering what this was just looked at the menu..

Trust you all know what Escargots are;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

It is a cockchafer. If you look at the feathery bits you can determine the gender. males have seven sections.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

So it wasn't a rosechafer?

(actually they're green. And _I_ call the other beasty a cockchafer)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I have one of the special cooking dishes for them as part of my kitchen equipment. Unfortunately, in some restaurants, they just taste like bits of rubber in garlic butter.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In article , nightjar scribeth thus

These didn't .. they were superb:))

Reply to
tony sayer

Nowadays usually bits of sheep lung in a garlic butter sauce.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Opps yes, dont know what happend to the URL I posted.

Stephen.

Reply to
sdhull

Thus spake snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Probably nothing; I suspect you may just have typed the word "info" again after pasting what was the correct URL. Easily done.

Reply to
A.Clews

The last time I saw the term used was something like twenty years ago when reading Denis Winter's book 'Haig's Command', where he mentions the French General Castelnau describing Allied efforts to attack the Germans as "We are like a cockchafer in a glass cage, sticking our head out right and left haphazard". I always wondered what a cockchafer was...no internet in those days!

Reply to
Terry Fields

I tried a search on the internet initially but couldn't find anything, hence me asking here ;-)

Stephen.

Reply to
sdhull