where does site boarding go

Medium to large-ish building sites always seem to be boarded off with acres of 8x4 ply sheets, painted. And posts to fix it all on. Where does it all go afterwards? (Thinking of cheap shed materials :-))

Reply to
John Stumbles

It's usually OSB that I see round here and I always assumed it was dumped.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Boarding House?

Reply to
Baz

Usually OSB and its dumped. Bloke I know runs a large construction company. Last job they spent £9K on boarding & painting it and scrapped the lot when finished.

£9K in a £1.1 million contract - they can't be bothered to do anything but dump it.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Most of the stuff I see on our campus appears to be scrapped once the building work is finished. It's an impressive contruction job with serious posts and then the whole lot is painted (often in multiple colours) then all just scrapped :-/

Guess it's insignificant on a couple of million quid building job.

Many years back the gas board were building some sort of pumping station over the road from my parents. All hording there was 3/4 inch ply - decent stuff. When they were finishing the site dad asked them what happened to it and they showed us where it was going to be stacked before being burnt in a huge bonfire.

Next day their fire was a lot smaller than planned. Dads workshop is still solid 20 years later and his mates loft has the most impressive over spec boarding I've ever seen ;-)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

And it will probably have prevented many times £9Ks worth of pilfering in the process!

Reply to
John Rumm

In this financial climate you'd think someone would think to dump it in an auction.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Unless someone pilfers the boarding for their shed!

Reply to
Tim S

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@care2.com saying something like:

Nah, there's always some money to waste. The most wasteful episode I heard about was up at Sullom Voe - when the oil terminal was finished, much of the mobile plant was driven into a huge hole and buried. Not worth their while to bring it back to the mainland and the cost of it had been amortised.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Builders are the worse people for filling up landfill sites. Offices near me being refurbished - the builders just treat all waste in the same manner - even copper pipes.

Reply to
John