Strange beetle

I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps help with identification? just for curiosity really.

Stephen.

Reply to
sdhull

> No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps

Looks like a May bug.

Reply to
Lino expert

> No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps

That'll explain why it's dead then :-)

Sorry, I'll get me coat

KK

Reply to
Kaptain Kremin

>>> No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps

I didn't know what they were, but we had loads of them flying around in the warm evenings a week or two back, together with loads of bats intercepting them mid-flight -- I'd never seen anything like it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've googled for "May Bug" (now I know what to look for) and found some info here;

and it is indeed a May Bug.

Thanks very much, I can now tell them as work what it is called.

Stephen.

Reply to
sdhull

There is also a june bug ;-)

Reply to
sdhull

I've just read that its a delicacy in France, yuk!

Stephen.

Reply to
sdhull

Hmm, last dune bug I saw was based on a VW :-/

KK

Reply to
Kaptain Kremin

Looks like a May bug.

Yep. Used to get loads of them as a kid. They used to fly into my bedroom window (makes quite a noise... I assume attracted by the light).

Big buggers!

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Ah I was going toi say 'cockchafer' but then everybody started saying May Bug.

We used to call em JUNE bugs..

Hmm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Same thing...a rose by any other name...

Reply to
Lino expert

Lesser spotted pencil humper?

Reply to
brass monkey

I found eveything on your website. Your security sucks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

One very drunken night about.... 25 years ago... outside a pub in May one of these beasts was bashing about the outdoor lamp. One drunken friend dared me £5 to eat it.... so I did. Alive... Thought it best to crunch is bifore it bit me. The taste was remarkably nutty.

I was violenetly ill much later that night, but I thing that was more down to an excessive and unhealthy amount of alcohol consumed more than the May Bug.

8¬()
Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

This one looks like it's been prept for a re-spray !!

Wavey Dave

Reply to
DAVE

and we'll never see the finished job now he's been murdered by the OP :-(

KK

Reply to
Kaptain Kremin

Thus spake snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

I think that URL should be

Wiki says that it doesn't tolerate pollution very well, so this dead one might be a useful indicator of your local air quality ;-)

Reply to
A.Clews

Indeed, although it was found in the generator room, noisy yet airy, probably the fumes from the generators that seen it off.

Stephen.

Reply to
sdhull

I don't really need security in that area, its where I store stuff for public viewing.

But thanks anyway

Stephen.

Reply to
sdhull

You'd have to pay me more than £5 quid, don't think I could even be tempted to eat one for £500, drunk or sober.

Stephen.

Reply to
sdhull