Storing Nails

How do the great and the good of these group store nails in their workshop? I currently keep mine in a collection of glass coffee or jam jars. But, having just dropped one on a hard floor, I have concluded that this is not a good idea.

Plastic screw top containers would be ideal but I don't know if they exist or, if they do, where to find them.

Dave

Reply to
dcbwhaley

chemical suppliers, lab suppliers and the like

Reply to
badger.badger

Every sort of plastic container exists. However, I find coke bottles, with a horizontal slit about two-thirds of the way can be of use. You sort of squash it horizontally, to create a 'mouth', which you can pour the contents out of.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

on 19/09/2006, dcbwhaley supposed :

I use plastic trays with lids, from two free sources, both of which stack neatly-

  1. Food containers as used by Chinese home delivery restaurants.
  2. (and even better) the used penny sweet trays from our local sweety shop. Look for the ones Haribo supply in, which are thrown away when empty and have a fold over lid.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

========================= I store biscuits (woodwork - not digestive) in plastic cartons similar to 'Tupperware'. It seems to keep them dry so it should be the same for nails if that is what you're looking for.

Most household discount shops stock cheap Tupperware clones but you may have to change the names from 'tea, sugar etc'.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 521 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

In strips in their boxes.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have a cup of OXO every night this OXO comes in granules in a plastic jar,upto now I've got seven of these plastic jars. ;-)

The3rd Earl Of Derby

If you have a netto near you? take a look in there on thursday. The have 12 piece food storage boxes on offer for 4GBP also on offer is a biscuit jointer for 20GBP.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Real Oxo comes in cubes.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You really like living on the wild side eh :)

-- Dave Baker

"Why," said Ford squatting down beside him and shivering, "are you lying face down in the dust?" "It's a very effective way of being wretched," said Marvin.

Reply to
Dave Baker

What do think the cubes where before getting compacted into cubes. Tsk!

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Multicompartment plastic boxes are good, you'd want a larger one for nails. Individual dividers can be cut out to allow longer items. Always get burstproof boxes, trust me, non-burstproof arent worth having for free. The cheap way is to store them in their original containers in shallow cardboard boxes.

I dont like glass jars as theyre space inefficient, fragile and a pita when dropped.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

or in towers....

Reply to
Andy Hall

A multi-compartment steel box, with a lid secured by overcentre clips. I have a similar one for wood screws.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

When he goes on a real bender, he wakes up the following day reeking of horlicks

Reply to
Phil L

In message , dcbwhaley writes

I have seen screw top containers attached to the underside of shelves but have never tried it myself.

Screws tend to stay in their boxes and get stacked so the label can be read. Stuff bought loose gets put in 5l plastic containers with the corner including the spout cut away so you can get your hand in.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

........... and a bad case of BSE :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

He had nine pints of yoghurt last night - got completely Mullered

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from "dcbwhaley" contains these words:

I make cherry cakes for special occasions - the plastic tubs in which cherries come are PET with nice screw lids.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Ian Stirling contains these words:

Or plastic milk bottles. Cut a scoop out of the top and you can hang them up by the handle.

Reply to
Guy King