Stone Dressing Hammer

Anyone know where I can obtain a heavy hammer as used in stone dressing?

I`m looking for something like a heavy lump hammer which has a "sharp" or shaped end as well as the normal flat face on the other end.

I want it for dressing granite for a wall.

Reply to
Reteplav

Look for a "scutch" hammer. Scutches are replacable combs, either a line or a row of points, that fit into the ends of the hammer. You can get scutch chisels too.

Ugly things, with a terrible balance. Go for two hammers - a double ended scutch hammer, and a separate heavy lump hammer for hitting chisels.

For granite, start with a 9" angle grinder and a diamond saw. It's a lot harder than you want to be grunting through by hand.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

An std drill with hammer only and a set of chisels for it. (You know for a fact that these hammers exist?)

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Evil things but very effective. Wear good goggles and a balaclava else you'll end up with bits of stone chippings in your face.

I used one recently to take old lime plaster and paint off a granite wall. Very effective!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Fairly sure I saw one in the Axminster catalogue - not got one handy just now, but I am fairly sure that's where I saw it, they got geologist hammers and the like too. Hope that helps

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

A brick hammer? They're not heavy. And can you imagine trying to dress a granite wall with one?

(I've changed my mind about the sds, get a Kango.)

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Thanks for all the replies.

Unfortunately a scutching hammer is not really suitable for working with granite. Granite is ( too hard...it even frays lump hammers!!)

A diamond cutter is not suitable either for dressing granite as it makes it lose it`s "naturally dressed " look.. The only success I`ve had with a diamond cutter is using it for cleaning up edges and faces.

I really was aftera hammer that is heavy and pointed.

Reply to
Reteplav

Use harder scutches !

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I sure would not know either way!

Nope, I just saw another suggest a scutch hammer and recalled seeing them where I said, I only mentioned it as it may have helped the OP find a source for one. I have no idea at all, beyond the recall of the names and where I saw them. I'm not into brickwork, way beyond my sphere!

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Not that I have any clue, but that's starting to sound awfully axe-ish in general. Is there some stone working equivalent of that? Maybe something sacrificial of the right shape and temper to strike is called for; chisel-ish or wedge-ish; since hitting that might not fray hammers as you describe, but may end up delivering the right force to the right point? Just trying to think sideways here, I really don't know what I'm about with it! Is high velocity impact the only choice, or could "crushing force" be made to be effective here? Just trying to visualize the problem is giving me a headache! Best of luck with it whatever you decide upon.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

In message , Andy Dingley writes

Bit light for granite a scutch.

?

Good stone hammers are very very good at dressing stone. Especially nice soft granite :) (Really!)

Proper stone hammers are very very hard to find (I use me dads who had them given to him by a bloke whose been dead for half a century.....)

They have heads which faces are concave when you look at them from the top. Big sledges in the shape you describe are pretty awful to use as Andy says. I'm not quite sure what they are for; I've got two of the bloody things.....

Reply to
mark