Hammer drill from Lidl problem

Jimk

I've had this hammer drill for a couple of years. It's a PBH 1500 E5, pretty heavy and apparently heavy duty. I bought it anticipating future needs but only used it twice on jobs which did'nt require it's full power or heavy duty-ness.

Then, I moved to a new abode and set out to use it this morning. It was in simple drill mode, but slipped into hammer mode, so I paused, then pulling the trigger had no effect and and the function selector switch wouldn't rotate to either drill mode or plain hammer but stuck at drill with hammer.

I'm asking to see if anyone else has had such a problem with this drill.

Being retired and getting on a wee bit I've developed a tendency to go for cheap replacement tools but I've realised it's a mistake. So, if I can't get this item working I'm going to splash out on quality and somebody or other will be inheriting a quality tool in the no too near term, I hope..

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Lidl tools normally come with 3 years warranty, so dig out the receipt call the service number.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Three year warranty, take it back.

Reply to
invalid

Why did it slip into hammer mode?

Any catch required to be released to move the selector? Tried twisting the chuck back and forth whilst trying to move the selector?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not sure, maybe I nudged it inadvertently while trying to drill a hole. Though there is push down release button to prevent this.

I did quite a bit of hopeful twiddling. The manual doesn't have a troubleshooting section. So, without the receipt, which I may yet find, it's likely going to be my ticket to Makita-land.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Looks to be pretty well made from that video up-thread - and slipping looks highly unlikely. There's a bit on the mechanism at about 8.30 - maybe the grease has dried out or something?

I'd try it on with just a bank statement printout. They sell these things within such particular time periods - if you can prove you spent the sum at or exceeding the drill at the time it was sold, it may well work.

Fingers crossed of course :-)

Reply to
RJH

Good tips, thanks.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I've got lots and lots of Lidl power tools, and I'd say you've been very unlucky. If indeed it is something that can't be easily fixed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't need the receipt if they didn't sell it more than two years ago. You contact their head office and they will send confirmation of it being in warranty if so. You can then take it to store and get a refund to help you makita land.

Reply to
invalid

did you buy it on a credit or debit card, if so look at your bank statements. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you buy from Lidl again it's worth scanning or taking a photo of the receipt. I had a cheap electric screwdriver which failed after 2+ years. I sent an email with details of the fault, the serial number and a scan of the receipt. Replacement was delivered a week or so later.

Reply to
Robin

Credit card record?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Good idea - might well start doing that.

I had a cheap electric screwdriver which failed after 2+

Is a digital copy legally enforceable, though?

Reply to
RJH

If it came to a court case the judge would decide who he believed and whether the copy was a true one on the balance of probablities. It would be dfferent if returning perfectly satisfactory goods, as the firm is entitiled to make any reasonable condition for what is a voluntary concession, and could choose to reject copies. If they are faulty, then, as I say, a judge will decide on the evidence. Knowing this, the shop is likely to accept the copy unless they think the customer is lying.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It certainly occured at an unlucky moment, or at least the moment when I tried to use it. there's a green light to show that it's receiving power from the mains. Is it possible that there's an internal fuse that's blown?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Makes sense, thanks.

Reply to
RJH

Sorry - dunno the Lidl mains SDS. I bought my DeWalt mains SDS before Lidl were around.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why wouldn't it be?

Those receipts are printed on thermal paper and a lot of them fade in a very short time leaving you with just blank. Try carrying one around in your wallet for a few weeks and see what happens.

The copy will have the timne, date, receipt number etc. on it which they can reconcile with their records.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Possibly, if you only bought that one item in that transaction so that the price matches.

If the price is higher it will be indistinguishable from a receipt for someone's family shopping!

Reply to
Terry Casey