Sticking plastic

I've got a paper shredder (not one of the cheap ones) where the plastic casing around the blades has been broken by the pressure of the paper etc. I have tried to glue(with super glue) it back together but the joint keeps breaking even after letting the glue dry for 24 hours.

Any recommended glues / reinforcing I could try. I did try to stick on plastic reinforcing, but the glue did not hold

Thanks

Reply to
nospam

meow2222

I can understand the idea of your wiki, how evre the link you have posted is about as useful as the link below

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=glue&x=0&y=0I don't have any idea of the plastics used

The idea of the forum is to allow people to discuss their experiances not just an faq. If i wanted automated results i would have googled, but i am loking for people experiances

Reply to
nospam

If the pressure of paper is sufficient to break it when it's a solid piece, glueing it will never work because the break-line will always be a weak spot - much weaker than the solid piece it used to be. Get yourself down to your local Woolworths and buy one of these:

up to 5 sheets at a time and will even shred credit cards. Been using ours for the past year without any problems, and at £14.99 it's just not worth the hassle (and frustration when the glued repair fails) of trying to glue it.

JellyBelly

Reply to
JellyBelly

Thanks Jelly Belly I though that may the answer, that it was not possible to fix. I purchased the model shown below as I considered it to be the best at the time

be I was wrong, may be I need a heaver duty model. I just feel the Woolworths one will not last long either

Anyone any comments ?

Reply to
nospam

Maybe you could return it to Argos for a refund/replacement?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

out of warranty , its only the cutters which are guaranteed for 5 years, not the rest of the unit,. The cutters look almost indestructible (when used as a shredder)

Reply to
nospam

The manufacturer obviously expects you to have five years' beneficial use of the product then, so that would be a reasonable indication of the durability you could expect of the item; the Sale of Goods Act applies regardless of any 'additional' warranty offered by the seller.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You'll never get an adhesive that's strong enough to last forever. Depending what type of plastic it is (I'd guess polycarbonate, since you say it's not a cheap shredder, in which case you're screwed) you may be able to get something like "Plasweld" from a model shop. This is just some solvent. You apply this to one side of the break, it dissolves the plastic, then you apply pressure until the solvent has evaporated. However it's unlikely this will last forever.

Your best bet would be to screw a metal plate across the break. Use a couple of M2.5 screws/nuts on each side of the break into a suitably sized piece of Ali. sheet. It won't be a pretty fix (more like Frankenstein's monster), but you can bask in the knowledge that fixing an appliance is much more ecologically sound that replacing it.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=glue&x=0&y=0> I don't have any idea of the plastics used

Nor probably will anyone here apart from an informed guess.

Most 'soft' plastics can't be glued with much success. They need to be welded - either heat or solvent. But even then the joint won't be as strong as the original - which was in any case marginal otherwise it wouldn't have broken.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is a very good point.

If the cutters are so strong that they guarantee them for 5 years but the plastic splits after a couple of years, then how could you get 5 years use anyway?

With the plastic breaking after a couple of years, it could be argued that there was a fault either with the design or manufacture and that your expectations of a 5 year life, based upon the expected life of the blades, did not happen before the plastic part broke, rendering the shredder scrap.

I think Trading Standards could help you here.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

A small bin in the backyard,a box of matches and the rest is up to you.

Lidl are selling a shredder next thursday for 15GBP I believe it shreds CD's as well?

Reply to
SirBenjamin