Stepladders

... where to buy? General advice?

I've been using a convertible one(mini extension ladder or free-standing) for years, but I've decided it's best to leave it at my son's place 3 hours drive away rather than carry it about.

if it would fold up small enough for the car boot that would be a help!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Wickes glass fibre ones for me.

I got them at half price maybe 2 years ago. best step ladders I've ever had. They are very stable - the legs are only a couple of inches wider than my old ally step ladder, but it makes a real lot of difference to the sturdiness of them.

Reply to
A.Lee

You can't go wrong with one of these

pictures & a video here

The Medway Handyman

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Cons: shorter than expected in step ladder position, uncomfortable to use in bare feet."

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

All I get is a white on red diamond repeated SALE image... Web "designer" being to "clever" again.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Did you crop the URL correctly?

Anyway, thanks everyone I'll stick my head around the door at Wickes and see.

TMH, do the wide feet on the "ladders and scaffold towers" one come off? Is it really 8 bolts to do it? 'cos it wouldn't fit in my car boot with the feet on...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Mine (Wickes) has a bar at both ends, 2 bolts in each IIRC. The one on the Wickes site only has one bar, so 2 bolts (I think).

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Those 4 part ladders are a good thing, but they are heavier than a traditional step ladder, and the multiple joints can be a pita to use.

NT

Reply to
NT

Never had a problem with the joints - mind you, I spray them with WD40 every now & then.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If the cost isnt an issue, I'd also recommend a second separate lightweight ladder, 7 feet high. Not a stepladder, just a single piece of ladder. For a lot of jobs I find such a thing much quicker & easier to move about, and there are no joints involved to waste time.

NT

Reply to
NT

Certainly can be useful. At my last GF's place I ordered a triple ladder and the one delivered was longer than ordered, so I ended up with an adequate double and a single of about 9 - 10'. Bloody handy to have 2 ladders on some jobs.

Reply to
PeterC