Stelrad radiator installation

I am replacing 2 smaller single panel radiators with a double panel, for some reason they installed two small radiators in a not very big room, two plumbers have already recommended replacing them with one to increase the efficiency of the gravty fed heating.
When I opened the packet I noticed that there are only two threaded holes where the air bleed and blanking plugs go, where the inlet and outlet plugs should go there are steel inserts very firmly fixed. According to the enclosed instructions, there should be four holes with plastic plugs.
SIlly question, but how do you get the water in and out and the air out if there are only two threaded holes?
On 16 Aug 2006 23:40:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk wrote:
|I am replacing 2 smaller single panel radiators with a double panel, |for some reason they installed two small radiators in a not very big |room, two plumbers have already recommended replacing them with one to |increase the efficiency of the gravty fed heating. | |When I opened the packet I noticed that there are only two threaded |holes where the air bleed and blanking plugs go, where the inlet and |outlet plugs should go there are steel inserts very firmly fixed. |According to the enclosed instructions, there should be four holes with |plastic plugs. | |SIlly question, but how do you get the water in and out and the air out |if there are only two threaded holes?
Look on the back and you will find a plastic plug, remove that and you will find a square air release valve.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*

Unfortunately there isn't an air valve on the radiator, in the accessories bag there is an air release valve which should screw into one of the threaded holes. Would these steel inserts come out?
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*

Simon
If this is a Stelrad Elite or similar, you should indeed have four threaded connections. As delivered, two will be open and two will have plastic treaded inserts. If yours is the same, these plasic inserts will have a big cross in the end (like a large posidrive fitting). These can be very solidly fixed, both by being partially painted over and because of thread sealant used when they are fitted. I believe that two connections are blanked off in this way for testing during manufacture. You will need to find something that will engage in this cross slot and unscrew - I had to use my flat electric wire strippers in one "leg" of the cross and turn these with a shifting spanner. I was disappointed to see that some of the paint on the end of the boss chipped away when these were removed. Also, check the internal threads in all of the connections. My last one was well gunked and had to be cleaned out with a wire brush thingy to allow the valve tail to enter correctly. Take care not to leave sealant or wire fragments in rad though! In the pack you should have: 2 or 3 brackets, depending on rad size. Some plastic gromit things - make sure you fit these as they will stop the rad from rattling when doors are slammed. 1 chromed hexagonal blanking plug - do not overdo tightening 1 chromed hexagonal plug with air vent insert - do not overdo tightening Make sure that rad is installed level or looks up slightly to air vent connection
HTH
Phil

You are star, thanks.
I scored around the edge of the insert with a craft knife to break the paint and then a pair of pliers and an old bike spanner, came out rather cleanly.
Onto the pipe cutting, oh joy.
snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk wrote:

What do these steel inserts look like? Is there any hole through them?
Could it be that someone has already screwed the tails for a radiator valve into the rad? (perhaps before returning it because the bought the wrong size etc)
--
Cheers,

John.