'Star in a Jar' Fusion Reactor Works and Promises Infinite Energy

James Wilkinson Sword

It doesn't seem to say that fusion has been achieved, only that plasma has been generated and confined. Neither does it say that any planned fusion generates more energy than it takes to run the thing, nor how the energy surplus, if any, might be extracted.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well it sounds like they've made a big step forwards.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That's the whole point of press releases.

Old design, been mucking with it for years. need more cash.

Goofle 'stellarator'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You probably thought we'd never invent the computer.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

People were making hydrogen plasmas when I was at uni, in the basement of the physics building. They were containing them in magnetic bottles too.

What is this new thing you think they have done?

Reply to
dennis

+1

See also Tokamak and Joint European Torus. Every year or two we get a press release that "we are very close to a practical energy device". And that's how it's been for the last 50 years or so. It would be interesting to know how much in total has been expended on fusion research during that time.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Go tell them that you've seen it before.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Might aswell research it you silly luddite.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And I've got a nice portfolio of bridges you might like to look at. All going cheap.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Look who is this James Wilkinson Sword dweeb? And why doesn't he just fusion off?

Reply to
Tim Streater

They got $7.5m from the US government, who have obviously also joined the EU, and spent it on a press release.

And Wanker Wilkinson fell for it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stop living in the past.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

+1

Designs for fusion reactors have been around for several decades, from ZETA in 1957, then JET, ITER etc. IIRC the later versions of JET were claimed to have achieved fusion and the Wiki entry says it generated

16MW of fusion power in 1997.

Interesting note about the momentary peak power requirement for JET being 1000MW, and as they can only draw 575MW from the grid, they have to supplement that with a couple of massive 775-ton flywheel generators, which between them can produce 800MW, but briefly. Puts the suggestions of flywheel storage of electricity on the Grid into perspective.

AIUI the focus is now on ITER, under construction in the south of France.

Chris Hogg

Stop feeding this pillock. With no food he will just wither up and die. When dead, the nation will save much dole money.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Shut up, you still use windows XP. Fusion probably looks like magic to you.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes been here before back in when was it, 1956 oor so, the Russian Exhibition in London showed us magnetic confinement systems that appeared to generate fusion. the snag was that it was for such a tiny fraction of a second that it was hardly of much use and the energy input was huge compared with output, and of course actually getting at the output energy caused lots of issues as materials had not been made that could be used near such a hot thing. However as has been the case for many years since, it was said that Fusion power from seawater was less than 10 years away. Ahem... OK it might a lot better now than then but the same fundamental issues of scale and heat and keeping it going seem to still be the problem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff
[24 lines snipped]

Not enough.

Reply to
Huge

He's a nym-shifting troll, probably Peter Hucker. Just killfile him and be done with it.

Reply to
Huge