Square socket

The handle part for turning my mains water off had the screw that holds it rusted away, its in an awkward location so even if I get another screw to hold the handle part on it is still difficult to access. Is it possible to get a square socket (8mm) with either a quarter or half inch drive so I could use an extension handle to get better access.

I have tried google and ebay but not having much luck, I dont have any wielding gear or access to any or I could just get the handle welded to a long t-bar.

Any other ideas or a supplier.

Reply to
ss

ss explained :

How about as a temporary at least....

Get an old 1/2 drive socket and angle grind a suitable slot in it the take the handle you have?

A refinment would be to get the handle braised or welded into the socket, it would cost more than a pound or two to get someone to weld it, or if you are near me, drop in.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The main stopcock's not your problem - ring the water supplier, and shout at 'em. They'll replace it FOC.

Reply to
Adrian

I found one of my ordinary sockets fitted just fine. Can't remember what it was, though. I have AF and BSW as well as metric. If the square was badly chewed it might be a problem, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Previous.....thanks for the socket idea.

The main stopcock is the one in the kitchen under the sink, thought that was my responsibility.

Reply to
ss

On Friday 09 August 2013 19:48 ss wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes it usually is...

Reply to
Tim Watts

and >>> shout at 'em. They'll replace it FOC.

thought

Aye, the water boards responsibilty stops at the street stop c*ck which *should* be at your properties boundary. Ours is about 20 yards down the road so from:

ipes

I'm pleased to see that the supply pipe under the highway is the water companies responsibilty.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The first one in to your property is their problem. Anything inside that is your problem, yes, but at least you can turn the water off to it in order to change it without emptying the seas onto your kitchen floor...

Reply to
Adrian

Is he sure the actual tap is servicable. Mine certainly is not and I am not looking forward to the day when it leaks, but I either turn it off at the meter in the road or under my stairs where I had another tap fitted now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If the one under the kitchen sink is their problem that still creates a problem for me as they or I would have to rip out some units to get access. The valve works ok but the handle part has come away because the screw holding it has corroded. Now even if they replaced it, due to extra wide worktop one needs extra long arms and manipulate them through a gap at the back of the unit (there is about another foot after the back of the unit. So it is actually easier, or will be if I can attach the handle to an old socket (done this today) and I can then use some half inch drive extensions I have.

Reply to
ss