speeech to text.

*Everything* "D i m" posts is pointless.
Reply to
Huge

I'm not interested in it at all ... :o)

When I first got the Mac, I plugged in anything I could find with a USB plug on it, to see what happened, including a Sennheiser headset. I was mostly quite impressed, but I've never used the speech -> text again. It tends to get very confused with things like;

printf ("caption%d\n", $dq,$big,$dq,$dq,$thumb,$dq,$lines);

Indeed, I've never worked out how to make it do punctuation, rather than having it, for example, spell out "comma".

(Jesus. I wrote that. I wonder what it does?)

Reply to
Huge

Just tried using the built in dictation on a Mac (press the Fn key twice) - worked perfectly. I'd guess Windows has similar.

Reply to
RJH

Yeo. Its either make a windows VM and buy dekstop dragon, or use teh cloud and 'dragon anywhere'.

But that's no big deal as that smartphone is when at home permanently wifi-ed

And can be takene where its conveninet for dictation

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which model? Can't immediately find it on my Moto G2. What do I need to look for?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Where you send a message theirs the bit that says type message then theres a microphone symbol hit that then it says speak now speak and the words appear on the screen:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Rob Morley

*laugh*
Reply to
Huge

How's that cowardly killfile working out for you then, considering you are effectively replying to another post of mine?

Fact. Voice recognition on Linux is sh1te and TNP uses Linux. Why would that statement be any less relevant than a vast number of posts people make here (and considering TNP advocates Linux and disses Windows all the time, even though he has to use Windows for the very sort of reason I stated (it's still Windows even if in a VM))?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ta! It sort of works, but would need a bit of editing the other end.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Hilarious - but I have seen it before. I'm almost tempted to play it into my phone to see how text to speech deals with it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

He may choose to use Windows for a particular application because some developers of Windows software decide not to offer their products for Linux. That's hardly an indication that Linux is bad or Windows is good. I have no experience of speech recognition software in any environment (although ISTR picking up a copy of Dragon NS a while ago with some other stuff), I shall add it to the bottom of my list of things to do, and get back to you.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I expect many people have, but perhaps not recently.

Background noise.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I will be using it on android linux instead

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really 'a choice' then is it Rob? It's more like 'going without'. See, 'most people' have no interest in the OS outside of it doing what they want and you don't need to look very far to find out that for 'most people', Windows will do more than OSX or Linux for them. That stands to reason when it's the incumbent / de facto standard OS of the world. (And doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon).

I never even hinted at such a thing? I was using Ubuntu earlier ...

I have and was actually doing some earlier. ;-)

Please do(n't). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It seems to me that after a while - it gets to know your voice better!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Is that still true if you don't correct it on the recording device?

I would envisage recording it on the phone and emailing whatever it produced to a PC, where it's much easier to edit/correct it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes: for me that seems to be the way to do it.

editing on a screen the size of a piece of toilet paper is not ideal

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. But what I'm not sure about is how the phone can adapt to your voice if there's no way of telling it what it got right and wrong.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well that will need some fiddling, yes.

Reply to