Spectacle lens cleaning fluid - cheaper version?

Boots "Spectacle

Costco sell a twin pack of two large bottles (probably each one is 10 times the size of the optician ones) for something like £10 from their optician counter. I get it for my parents (or I did once - it's never run out since).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Boots "Spectacle

My wife took one of those to the school office where she works. She successfully hid it for a couple of weeks until someone caught her using it, Since then it has cleaned a volume of glasses, the photocopier, umpteen monitors and keyboards. Still got plenty left in it.

Reply to
Ericp

Boots "Spectacle

this sort of

Up until this point I thought the punch line was going to be COSHH related.

Reply to
Graham.

Fairly expensive that. You can get 5ltrs for £18 -£20 from many chemical suppliers some including delivery.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

In message , Phil Addison writes

Get yourself down to Costco or wherever else sells micropore cloths

You don't need fancy fluids, if the lenses are really dirty, a little bit of gob for lubrication will help

For cleaning off all the verdigris etc, I use a £20 ultrasonic cleaner every year or so

email me your address, I'll send you a micropore cloth

Reply to
geoff

And a litre for £8.41, free delivery, from CPC.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Complete with fermenting gob and ground in dirt, er... Thank you but no thank you. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When you get 40 30 x 30cm square cloths for about a tenner, personally, its not an issue for me

Not quite so sure where you get all that ground-in dirt on a pair of lenses from ... perhaps best not to ask

Reply to
geoff

Isn't paper made of fibrous stuff though, eg wood?

Good point

Reply to
Phil Addison

Ta but I'm ok for them. It looks like I now have an excuse to buy an ultrasonic cleaner too.

Reply to
Phil Addison

Boots "Spectacle

this sort of

Looks a good deal; now I have a reason to sign up to costco.

Just check the ingredients of the Boots one: "Water, SAS-60 "Sodium C14-17 Alkyl Sulfonate), Potassium Lauryl Phosphate". No idea what they are - except the water!

Reply to
Phil Addison

I find meths leaves a sticky residue, wouldn't let it near mine.

Reply to
Phil Addison

Detergents ...

Andy Burns

"Spectacle

Shaving Gel (Gillette in my case), a small squirt rubbed in with the fingers, rinsed off under a warm tap. No grease, no scratches and if the water is hot enough, no need to even dry them.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Gabriel)

I can't find it on their website, which makes me wonder if they still do it. Might want to have someone confirm that first.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Gabriel)

Boots "Spectacle

this sort of

What's wrong with the 99p for 100ml ASDA one? or just use asda glass and widow cleaner at £1 for 500ml if you can stand the smell.

Reply to
dennis

Specially for Victorian glass-sided hearses. Added formaldehyde to ensure no embarrassing odours.

Reply to
polygonum

Yeah I know but life's too short to go sourcing stuff that gets used a spoonful at a time, probably over decades. The ex works 25 litre price for most things is dirt cheap, the rest is what the seller can get away with

Reply to
stuart noble

Isopropyl alcohol plus dish detergent diluted in water makes a usable replacement (but would be better with whatever they use as an anti-misting agent in the commercial stuff).

Reply to
Windmill

'kinell, that makes Boots even more a rip-off. My morning spec cleaning regimen will be moved to the bathroom in future - hot running water and whatever shower-geel/shampoo is arond!!

Reply to
Phil Addison