Spectacle lens cleaner

My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Spectacle lens cleaner?

What's wrong with spitting on then and using your T shirt to clean them?

Reply to
ARW

I buy Solution 30 off Chemist Direct (quite cheap). It lasts ages, particularly because:

a) Out and about, I use Aldi spectacle wipes b) I only use enough to clean the lens I need

Reply to
Bob Eager

Been doing that for 45 years!

Reply to
stvlcnc43

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote in news:c4bec714-4cce-47c9-afe7- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I can't stand the slightest smear. I wash them every day and then used a lens cleaner.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

IPA will clean lenses well, not necessarily recommended if they are in a plastic frame.

You can do worse than clean them in the morning, while in the bathroom, with warm water and soap, dry them with bog roll and then just clear them during the day as and when necessary with a microfibre cloth.

Reply to
R D S

LENS-CLEAN.html

Reply to
R D S

Oh, here's a link:

prd-3k4

Reply to
Bob Eager

Warm water and washing up liquid - I'm an even bigger "cheapskate" than you, as SWMBO buys the stuff.

BTW, that's what my local Optician's technician recommended more years ago than I can remember (and I started wearing glasses at the age of nineteen).

If I'm out and about and the spec's need a clean - I simply breath over the lenses and wipe with a nice clean cotton hanky.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Spectacle lenses are often coated and can't be cleaned with an abrasive cleaner. You're not even supposed to use detergents.

Especially the plastic lenses.

Reply to
harry

The thing is the pocket-sized bottle of spectacle cleaner lives on my desk along with the pencils, pens, erasers, etc. I only use it when the film on the specs starts disturbing my concentration, and the last thing I want then is faff. I don't use it a great deal but super-convenience is the priority.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It assumes the T shirt is cleaner than the glasses...

Reply to
Jeff Layman

When my little spray bottle ran out I topped it up with Gordon's Gin - works a treat :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Warm water and Handwash liquid. My optician claims washing up liquid removes the varnish off the frames.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Hmm, methinks your optician is worried about losing sales of cleaning fluid.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I believe that it's meths. Thats what I refilled mine with. It works and it hasn't damaged the coating on my plastic lenses in over a year of use.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Many years ago, a former optician of mine (now sadly dead) recommended holding your specs in the steam from a dishwasher at the end of a wash cycle, and then wiping them with a clean tissue. Works a treat!

Otherwise, we use spectacle wipes from Aldi. If you line all your specs up, you can clean several pairs with one tissue as long as you don't hang about - 'cos the tissue soon dries out.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thats what we used in submarines to clean the periscope and binocular lenses. Can't be bettered, particularly as the gin was duty free.

Reply to
Old Git

on 28/01/2016, R D S supposed :

.. but not much worse!

Handsoaps often often contain lanolin etc. so they leave an oily film on a lens. I find Fairy better.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yip. Dead cheap and they work very well. They also get muck off keyboards - the plastic surrounding the keys that is.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire