Cleaning fluid for fabric

Looking for something to clean a grease spot from a shirt or tie. There used to be carbon tetrachloride and then is was banned. Then there were other cleaning liquids. I remember, in the late 70s, using triclorethane for cleaning circuit board, not fabrics. In the factory, they almost used it like running water. They even washed their hands with it. But, there has always been some stuff available at the hardware store which was a good cleaning solvent for fabrics. It had a similar name but was supposed to 'be safe'. You could buy it in quarts or even pints, in a metal rectangular can, like the cans you get mineral spirits and lacquer thinner. Now, non seem to be around. I searched google and about all I got was rubbing alcohol. Any ideas for something to clean a spot of grease from fabric.

Reply to
Art Todesco

You thinking of naptha, maybe? It should still be available.

Cotton or synthetic; gotta' be careful not to "melt" some of the synthetics with highly-volatile petroleum spirits, of course. Just some plain ol' mineral spirits likely will serve the purpose as well.

Reply to
dpb

Been years since I bought/used any but there was a retail spot remover...came in a light blue spray can about the size of shaving gel.

It sprayed out as a clear liquid that quickly dried and turned into a white powder that absorbed the grease. You swept it off the garment after a few minutes and the spot was gone- though the chemical scent lingered for days.

Darned I can remember the name though!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Carbon tet has not been used in a very long time due to the hazzard. Look around for some perchloroethylene commonly called perk. It is a comercial dry cleaning fluid. Only use it in a well ventelated area as the fumes can be a big safety factor. You can probably find it where dry cleaning supplies are found.

I don't know the cost now, but about 20 years ago I bought about a gallon. The place sold me a metal can to put it in and the can cost about as much as the fluid. Around $ 6 for both.

You may find some lab grade but it will cost much more.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

K2R?

I don't remember if that's what it was either, but I do remember a product like you described.

Apparently naphta, like dpb recommended is still available. That would probably be my first choice. Lighter fluid? Whatever he tries, he should try it on a spot on the back first. In my experience, ties are one of the worst things to try to get spots off. Afterwards there can be a sheen difference so it still doesn't look right.

Reply to
trader_4

Haven't seen it for a long time, but the name I recall was "K2R Spotlifter." I saw it as a paste in a tube too. I think it was a mixture of some solvent (probably banned by now because it worked) with an aDsorbent (NOT aBsorbent) substance that attracted the now-soluble stain/oil/etc. to itself and could be brushed off, taking the whatever with it.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I do believe that's it!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Yeah, now I remember the past too. As I recall, it dried out a few months after being opened after first use!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Perc's hazardous. Researchers found a tenfold increased risk of developing Parkinson's from exposure to it. Sixfold increase from trichloroethylene. Personally, I wouldn't risk permanent neurological damage just to get some grease spots out. But if you really want it, you can find it on Amazon.

I just use Shout. Comes as a spray or a stick. Works 90% of the time.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I thought Shout was for pre-spraying spots before washing them. You can't wash ties. And I seriously doubt the exposure to any solvent from cleaning a spot on a tie or similar few times a year is going to give you neurological damage. I'd bet those numbers came from people exposed to it occupationally for years or maybe even guesses based on lab experiments.

Reply to
trader_4

Non Clorinated brake cleaner works for me.

Reply to
clare

Anythiing with mineral spirits leaves an oily residue. CRC nonclorinated Brakleen contains methanol, toluene, Acetone,

3-methylhexane, n-heptane, methylclohexane,naptha, cyclohexane, in the order of concentration. 50% Methanol, 25% toluene, and up to 3-15% of the next 5.

Doesn't leave any residue and I've used it on cotton, silk, wool, and poly-cotton blends with bno problem. I'd likely stay away from Rayon and some of the other more fragile synthetics due to the acetone, naptha and toluene.

Reply to
clare

What kind of fabric is it?

Reply to
Muggles

My wife and I use Naptha, bought at a local hardware store. I seem to remember having to sign something at the time of purchase saying that I would not use it for bombing purposes, or something like that.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks Bob, I'll probably give that a try.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I wonder what feeble-minded legislator penned that law?

Reply to
Grumpy Old White Guy