Southern Electric say each mobile phone charger uses 100kWhours a DAY!

Have a look - how can they get it so wrong by a magnitude of.....???

My chargers both say they use about 21mA max.

Also, point 3 seems a little dubious too - AFAIK, the only things that use any significant power on standby are digiboxes. Surely the rest just take enough to keep the coil energised? My TV and video both use < 4 watts on standby.

Jonathan

The whole lot is dubious at best. Down right misleading would be closer to the point.

Always a problem when you have non technocal maketing droids write greenwash. Even if you ignore the 4kW phone charger, the advice to landfill a working freezer on the *assumption* is is drastically less efficent than your current one risky at best, and that is before you look at the life cycle energy of disposing of the old one and producing and supplying a new one.

Reply to
John Rumm

They must have looked awful hard to find an appliance that eats 85% rated load on standby.

100kWh/day is more like a questionable erstimate of the entire country's use, complete oblocks

Anyone still conscious knows they cna save money by turning down the heat, and know why they dont do it.

The bit about freezers will normally be true of early 70s units and faulty appliances, but just silly to suggest it applies to them all.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Just like it's silly for all the media (and government agencies) to continually say that *everyone* can save hundreds by switching supplier. Just how many times can I go araound this loop. Can I get to the point where someone will pay me for taking their electric?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

part of the 'good lie' which has become more common as of late. It doesnt matter if the information they tell you is misleading, or just plain incorrect, if it is in a good cause (as judged by them) then it is ok.

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz

> Its part of the 'good lie' which has become more common as of late. It

Many gullible people remember this crap. My TV only uses 0.8 of a watt on standby (not that I leave it on standby often). I am getting fed up of the greenies making everyone feel guilty about everything - there are bigger issues - like the pollution made in China by their dirty power stations and processes (producing goods for us that are then shipped half way around the world); destruction of rainforests, etc.

People are only too happy to point their finger and tut everytime a politician of member of royal family use a car or aeroplane - but miss issues that are statistically more significant.

Reply to
John

Maybe the publicity dept got the decimal point in the wrong place

Should it not have been 100 x 10 to the power of -3 or 100mW, but then the publicity dept thought we are a generating company and do not deal in such small numbers, and dropped the minus sign and made it into

100kW.

Or maybe the typist thought the engineers notes had just got a pencil mark on it, and did not transfer the minus sign ???

It does make you wonder how many eyes (on multi thousand pay packets) read that bit of paper before being published.

Reply to
ukagent

Dear ukagent:

It may have been extrapolated to their entire customer base, assuming each account had a similar device.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

I have one of those energy monitors from Maplin, my mobile phone chargers use nothing when not plugged into the phone.

Reply to
Dave R

They will use a small amount. I expect its too low to show on the monitor.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Is that the £26.99 one on the Maplin website?. How accurate is it at low current?

Reply to
OG

What make and model is that? Is the 0.8W figure your own measured value, or a manufacturer figure?

Reply to
OG

I don't know about his TV but Sony say that my LCD 23" uses 0.7W on standby - that seems very low and makes you inclined to question all of the figures being bandied around by the Government!

Roger

Reply to
Roger Matthews

JVC AV-28WFT1EK - Approx 4 years old - 28 inch CRT Flat Screen.

There is now a standard governing stand-by.

Reply to
John

This might be of interest:

John

Another good site:

John

It is worth noting that many modern phone chargers are switched mode power supplies. Many of these will in effect turn off when there is no load.

Reply to
John Rumm

Clearly shome mistake.

It might be interesting to know just how many million of these 'little black boxes' (wall warts) are plugged in 24/7 and how much power is used to keep them energised - even when the mobile is away being used.

I have three little black boxes, but it is hardly worth worrying about when I'm running a 2 KW electric fire, an immersion heater, a washing machine and a tumble drier.

Roger R

Reply to
Roger R

The moment you are running the elctric fire, the wallwarts are zero carbon opportunity cost, since you are using electrical power to heat anyway.

The same goes for full water kettles, inefficient incandescent lamps and the like.

One can imagine that if we had a fully integrated nuclear electric power generation scenario, that use of electrical heating and wasteful electrical products would be positively beneficial, if it meant that we didn't need to use gas or oil to heat our homes.

I can see it now "Government initiative to replace CFL lamps with 'combined heat and light' lamps" .. "wasting energy is green" says Greenpeace.."Rock star buys 500KW electric sports car"

and so on..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One test is whether it warms up at all when its not charging.

Reply to
OG