Source for basic doorphone?

I'm after a phone. Requirements:

External (i.e. weatherproof). One button (dials preprogrammed number). Normal two wire phone (want to connect it to a phone system). No door release or anything famncy needed. One piece (needs to be reasonably vandal proof). Not IP based. Not stupidly expensive.

Nearly all the ones I can find are part of an internal/external pair. I just want a basic phone!

Any ideas, please?

Reply to
Bob Eager

panasonic do such BUT they require a special card in a PABX...

how did you intend connecting it to a phone system?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably easier done with the PABX, i.e. just go off hook.

Probably incompatible with other requirements :-(.

Reply to
David Woolley

To the back of an SPA8000.

Reply to
Bob Eager

An external version of a supermarket 'taxi' phone?

I'm guessing these:

under the 'stupidly expensive' bracket :)

Reply to
Peter Watson

> come under the 'stupidly expensive' bracket :)

Not as stupidly expensive as the 170 quid plus vat flashing light above it!

Reply to
pcb1962

I only want it for our front door....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't know the price but this would work...

I'm after a phone. Requirements:

External (i.e. weatherproof). One button (dials preprogrammed number). Normal two wire phone (want to connect it to a phone system). No door release or anything famncy needed. One piece (needs to be reasonably vandal proof). Not IP based. Not stupidly expensive.

Nearly all the ones I can find are part of an internal/external pair. I just want a basic phone!

Any ideas, please?

Reply to
Londonman

Get the cheapest speakerphone you can find, take it apart, and rebuild it in a suitable metal / ip65 box?

Although I'm not sure how you waterproof the speaker and mic.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Reply to
Denis McMahon

Right.... so theres no assistance from there in terms of autodialling or routing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought you were asking electrically.

I need the phone to dial a number - any number. The SPA2000 is registered with an Asterisk box so I can deal with that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A variation on a theme would be to buy a cheap speakerphone, and a cheap intercom phone, and put the speakerphone internals in the intercom case, using the existing microphone, speaker and button. Wire the button to a speeddial position on the keypad. Then you have a PSTN-capable doorphone.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Now there's an idea. Although I'm sure I could find a uitable metal case...

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you want true single-button operation, though, you need to automate the off-hook button and the memory dial button, and have a timer to go on-hook a reasonable time later. Could be done by relays and a small timer circuit.

The doorphone speakerphones usually have a call timer and also detect 'calling party clear' from the phone line, which ordinary ones don't.

My IP phone, on the other hand, will go 'off-hook', sieze a 'line' and dial out, at the press of one button, and clear down at the end of a call automatically. It can also be set to auto-answer on incoming. It may be useful, if the person 'inside' has cleared down or lost the door call, to be able to phone back to the door. All that would be needed would be to take a cheap IP speakerphone and extend the mic/ speaker/button and optionally LED wires (so 6 or 8 wires) to the components in a door box.

Given that it's going to attach to an IP system, I woudln't discount the use of IP (unless there are other reasons). Yealink T20P will do handsfree for 63.00 inc VAT from Voipon; I'm sure there are cheaper to be had.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not a speakerphone, and needs some TLC, but

be of interest

No connection with the seller

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I thought of something like that, but the separate receiver is vandal- sensitive!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Good point. Could do that.

The wiring is already there, and very difficult to add more. 6 pairs, with 3 of them telephone cable (lightly twisted). The other 3 pais are even less suitable...!

I might end up building something...

Reply to
Bob Eager

3 twisted pairs ample for mic/speaker/button. The IP phone itself can live somewhere nice and warm inside with access to ethernet.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

though....

These were very good, expensive again and discontinued now:

Paulg0

Bob Eager wrote

I see you can get a waterproof ruggedised mobile for a not stupid price.

[Amazon.co.uk] JCB Toughphone Tradesman TP121 at 60 GBP

Might be a good idea if you had a really really long driveway.

Reply to
Michael R N Dolbear