Sorry Folks !!!!!

I must apologise to some people in the newsgroups that I may have sent direct e-mail replies to.

It all stems from a new bit of OE plug-in software I'm testing, and when I replied to, what I thought was, the whole group, it wasn't doing what I thought it was doing.

So, if anyone had an e-mail from spam.guard@_spam_guard.com in the last few hours, I'm sorry!!!!! I won't let it happen again, I promise.

Reply to
BigWallop

Now all those who didn't get an email will feel hurt........

:-)

Reply to
The Wanderer

Yep !!! :((((

Reply to
EricP

Go on then - what plug-in is this ?

(Cue lots of "why bother - use something/anything else' posts :-)

Reply to
Mike
[snip]

Back in my day, we connected by connecting a telegraph key and a carbon mic to the phone line and had to simulate a 300/300 baud dialup negotiation and we liked it...

Seriously, OE's disadvantages are often harped upon but the fact is, if you tame it, it's not *that* much of a security risk, certainly less than downloading 18 different newsreaders to find one that you like :-) and it's free.

Reply to
Chipmunk

It's a software thing a friend is developing for OE. It just gives some more layout schemes and button placements etc. etc. But he thinks it's going to be the next generation OE. :-) Yeah right. LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

Eeh, thee had a telegraph key, tha loocky beggar, we had to make do with two brass paper fasteners and a strip cut out of an old baked beans can, the smoke used to rise from our fingernails every time Father changed the accumulator.

Carbon mic, eeh thee didn't know thee was born. We used to dream of t'day when Reverend Hunnings would invent t' carbon granule mic down in Bolton Percy. There we wuz, shouting into our Berliner transmitters and thinking "A Yorkshireman could invent summat better than this".

Owain

Reply to
Owain

He'd be better off developing for Thunderbird - as it's open source development should be easier than a proprietary API, and he won't be left behind when MS release a differently-broken^W^Wupdated one.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The laugh I have about it Owain, is that he works for MS in the USofA. No wonder the stuff is crap. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

You admit to knowing such people? ;-)

Don't mention Thunderbird to him then please. We don't want that broken too.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It was sometimes possible to dial using a coin on the mic with carbon mic phones. Just rap it at the right speed and number of hits, in some cases R goes low enough to be recognised as pulse dialling. Tried it on a broken phonebox once, worked fine. Have to be pretty quick though.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

If it was a serious threat, MS would buy it so that they could break it :-)

Reply to
Mike

Why didn't you just tap out morse style on the phone cradle switch like everybody else ?

Reply to
Mike

Even if they could buy it they wouldn't be able to stop others from continuing development of the code that's already been open-sourced.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Sometimes those are too slow to rise to be able to do 10Hz, or close enough to 10 for the exchange to recognise it. I imagine this was more likey to be true of public boxes, as theyd have to be a lot more robust than home phones.

NT

Reply to
bigcat