I feel so sorry for you folks in cold climate areas.

Here it is March 28, (2006) and my carrots are popping through- an inch high; my watermelon; squash; okra and snow peas are 1 to 2" high; my potatoes are about half- way grown; cauliflowers have little marble sized caulitflower on them'; cabbage is about ready to firm up to make cabbageheads; new grape plan is blossoming, and I'm already eating delicious Bibb lettuce, As soon as they're arrive from Henry Field's, I'll be planting strawberries, sweet potatoes, and onions.

Even in winter I had planted a terrific garden. BUT,,,,summers just too hot for some veggies,...lettuce, and cole crops, while tomatoes have to be shaded. Question: Where do I live? And be gentle with your answers,(tee hee)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Hey Mike, BITE ME! ;-D

Reply to
Steve Calvin

truth be told, I ate radicchio, kale, collard and bok choi through the winter. I just finished everything (the last bucket was harvested one week ago) and now I am eating (grazing) smaller, come-again green leaves from heads harvested in november. Michigan under a tunnel is not so bad, the garlic under the tunnels is one foot high whereas the one outside is just pushing out. The only problem is when it stays well below freezing through the weekend, and I can not harvest veggies unless they are unfrozen. This year it never happened though.

so don't be so smug. We have relatively few pests compared to the South, and the summers are pleasant.

Reply to
simy1

I say we find this guy's mother and slap her for what she brought into the world!

Luc

Reply to
Lucid

Pfft. He's a wimp wannabe. When your garden pests include a 3 foot iguana and nematodes, THEN you live in the south. Our dill just bolted into a fireworks display of flowering. Gardening this far south is no picnic. Bugs come here to vacation.

Reply to
Harry Chickpea

Hmf I'll see your iguana with a 4ft goanna and raise you with a red-bellied black snake.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

But you came closest with the iguana bit...I live in Southern Arizona!

Reply to
Mike

what survives there in the summer, Mike? I assume okra, watermelon, and sweet potato will do well, but the rest? and what is the water bill? How much mulch do you need, and what do you use in the desert to mulch?

Reply to
simy1

Me too. Where we have very few insects, no raccoons, have an occasional Javalina, can garden every month of the year. Not to mention, virtually no rainfall and a scarce water supply.

Olin

Reply to
omi

Hmf I'll see your iguana with a 4ft goanna and raise you with a red-bellied black snake.

David

Hi! A few unkind people in this world. But you came closest with the iguana bit...I live in Souther Arizona!

Me too. Where we have very few insects, no raccoons, have a occasional Javalina, can garden every month of the year. Not to mention virtually no rainfall and a scarce water supply.

Olin

thanks mike for feeling sorry for us all but really u dont have t because a lot of people have gardens in the winter even in the col areas. some ppl put straw over their carrots and other things so tha they can harvest them later on during the year. its nice to hear that u have a really nice garden and u tend to enjo it a lot :). i know ppl think u are bragging but your main question was "where do live?" not hey im an ass bragging about my garden u had to tell u those things so that we would guess where u lived. i have an adopted sister living in arizona she loves it there. thanks for telling us about your garden and where u live. im from southern ontario around the stratford area. we had a fairl open winter this year and dont have any snow as of right now. enjoy your garden. cyaaaaaa, sockiescat:)

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat

I saw my first hummingbird yesterday evening!

Yay! It's official, it's spring!

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

And can't grow raspberries or rhubarb.

Reply to
Jan Flora

Hah! Those red bellied black snakes are great! If you have them then you don't have Eastern Brown Snakes or Tiger Snakes. And I'll bet that you and I are both much further South than the other posters who seem to think "South" is somwhere in the Northern Hemisphere :-))

Reply to
Farm1

You live in Tucson, AZ

Reply to
Dapat kang maligò

You live in Tucson, AZ that was an easy question.

Reply to
Dapat kang maligò

We were told the old furphy about black snakes keeping away the browns but it just ain't so. We have browns as well but there are more blacks, I don't really mind the blacks as they leave you alone if you leave them alone but browns are really scary. Both are endemic to the district. We are about 32 degrees Sth.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in

browns but

I don't know how far south I am.

At our other palce we have red bellied blacks and no other snakes at all. The value of the red bellied blacks is that their venom kills brown snakes whereas the reverse is not true.

Reply to
Farm1

I live in Eastern Central Florida. Does that beat anyone as far as "South" is concerned? I KNOW where the bugs breed and get there first meals before heading north....MY GARDEN!

Reply to
Joe S.

Not by a long shot! There are at least 2 Australian poster here.

Reply to
Farm1

Reply to
Nicole