Sodium Thiosulphate ?

Using ( pretty successfully I must say ) HG Mould Remover around my bath I saw that the brown residue that is left can be removed using Sodium Thiosulphate but have no idea where it can be obtained or if it is known as anything else . Anyone know ?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Just realised it is aka Hypo which is photographic Fixer . I have found it here

no doubt there are cheaper sources .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Time was you could buy it at any photographic shop.

Dave Osborne

Yeeha at that link but then noticed the minimum speand of £25 GRRRRR !!!

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

>> but no doubt there are cheaper sources .

£8.45 for 100g here, including postage and packing:

Bruce

Don't forget why the bath is covered in mold and crap

Book into the local car wash and get all that slimey shit off ya body

or the bath will look the same in a few days

Reply to
Stuart B

>> but no doubt there are cheaper sources .

Dave Osborne

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bruce saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm not an expert but I think it means that it's the pentahydrated (crystalline) form rather than the anhydrous (powder) form; i.e. it contains water of crystallisation. I can't see that it matters in your application although it might if you were assaying silver content by weight.

If you're really bothered try:

Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

"5 water" means 5 water of crystallisation aka pentahydrate

see:

means "without water of crystallisation"

so 500g of anhydrous gives "more" hypo than 500g of pentahydrate, because part of the amount you buy includes the weight of any water of crystallisation.

===

LR means "Laboratory Reagent". Basically, you can buy chemicals in a number of different grades.

"Crude" - with significant impurities. E.g Rock salt for putting on the roads.

"Technical Grade" - pure enough for straightforward industrial/commercial processes. May be contaminated with inert/un-reactive substances. E.g. Swimming pool chemicals.

"Laboratory Grade" or "Laboratory Reagent" - containing very limited amounts of impurities and sometimes guaranteed free of particularly undesirable impurities (for some value of undesirable, which varies according to context).

"Food grade" - suitable for human/animal consumption.

"Medical Grade" - which will have "BP" or "BPC" after. E.g. Sodium Chloride B.P. This means that it has been manufactured/prepared and tested/quality assured in accordance with the British Pharmacopoeia or the British Pharmaceutical Codex.

"Analytical grade" or "analytical reagent" - extremely pure, for chemical analysis and/or where any amount of insoluble impurity might clog up the works of a sensitive scientific instrument.

HTH

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Aah! Thanks for that ..Makes it totally clear ..If the use of this + the previous use of HG Mould Remover works then that will be of use to a few folk in here as the subject seems to come up regularly .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Snipped

Next time learn to google as you as so fond of telling people.

Reply to
Stuart B

I'll be interested in seeing what develops....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Always had a test tube of that in Chemistry sets as a kid ... now I know what it was for ?

I suppose Chemistry sets would never get past 'effin Safety nowadays ...

My mother recently passed on to me another toy form my youth ... a Mamod Steam Engine ..... It still works after not having not been fired up for more than 30 years !

'effin Safety would probably throw an eppy over selling meths burners and steam vessels to kids :-)

Reply to
Rick

Rick wibbled on Sunday 03 January 2010 02:45

If you hunt around on google, reasonably "proper" ones are still available - as in similar to the ones kicking about in the 70's (mag ribbom, metsh bunsen, copper II sulphate and an array of other bits and pieces...

On an aside, can you still get carbon tetrachloride? Wasn't on that site posted a few posts back, but chloroform was...

Reply to
Tim W

Carbon Tet was the main constituent of stuff for taking stains out of clothes was it not? no doubt been banned long tme ago.

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Carbon tetrachloride is an ozone depleting substance and also a greenhouse gas. It hasn't been banned, but its use has been strictly limited by several pieces of EU and UK legislation.

It was used in industrial quantities in the manufacture of ozone-depleting refrigerants R-11 and R-12 which have now themselves been banned.

Reply to
Bruce

Usenet Nutter wibbled on Sunday 03 January 2010 11:29

A lot of stuff that will raise eyebrows[1] in the local chemist shop is actually freely and legally available on the internet.

eg

(Have to sign for that in the chemist's)

Mag ribbon

(always on ebay)

etc...

Once I even found a place that claimed to sell metallic sodium - but it was in whole bars and cost a fortune.

Also, be aware that is an online chemical supplier seems to have a strong bias towards selling highly reactive substances and none of the "boring" chemicals, it's probably a sting website. Even if it's not (perhaps it's a pyro supplies place) then be sure various agents of the state will probably be either keeping an eye on it or are liable to go and legally grab a customer/orders list from time to time. So no buying 50kg of bomb making chemicals.

Reply to
Tim W

%FOOTNOTE-E-MISSING

:o)