Social non-distancing

The local Hospital Car Park Ticket Machine. It takes:

  1. One person wanting to pay but can't understand where to put their ticket.
  2. One smart-arse - to come and offer help.
  3. Someone to offer to help with some change.

All strangers - needing to remove masks so that they can be better understood - all within a small area.

Reply to
JohnP

Apparently, you need to be ?close? for a reasonable time for it to be an issue.

Reply to
Radio Man

Radio Man snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in news:rjah4g$lsp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I would have though one exhaled breath with the right aerosol of virus is enough. Obviously the longer the contact time the greater the likelyhood of the right conditions for transfer.

Reply to
JohnP

IME it sometimes takes five minutes to figure out how these machines work.

Reply to
newshound

Make that *at least* five minutes for the ones in Swansea District Council car parks. The menu display defaulting to Welsh adds another hurdle for some.

Reply to
Mark Carver

I used to work with a Welsh guy, listening to him rant on about how much he despised "The Welsh Language" was amusing.

Reply to
Pancho

Is the (actual) right answer. ;-)

And the greater the viral load and risk of a stronger infection.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

As usual things are not so black and white. It depends on how much of the "right" aerosol you come in contact with:

Or sufficient quantity of the virus entering the body.

Viral load is a measure after you caught it. I suggest you look up "infection dose".

So much BS.

Reply to
Fredxx

I've noticed that in Wales many car parks seem to have the most complicated of pay points that could ever have been conceived, and as you say, often defaulting to welsh on the display. Position the terminal at a height suitable for a wheelchair user. Add a 26 letter keypad (miniature mechanical buttons) not laid out in a qwerty format and a 10 number keypad not laid out in a phone format and most people take ages just to type in their full registration number.

Then you have to be familiar with the hieroglyphics symbols on other buttons in order to proceed to to payment.

A few years back some didn't take new pound coins while others didn't take old pound coins.

Reply to
alan_m

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 14:38:37 +0100, Fredxx snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote: <snip>

Doh! Who would have guessed, but not including 'having to be close to someone for a reasonable time' to catch C19 (if you are unlucky).

No, really!

Interesting, thanks. However, I made no mention on how much the symptoms presented, irrespective of how infected you were.

Hardly 'BS' (unlike Brain Rays input) because the concept of what I had conflated is generally correct.

'Of course' the greater number of infected droplets you inhale the greater chance you will get infected yourself and to what degree, that also then affects the chances of you infecting someone else.

I wasn't wrong, it's just 'more complex'.

Anyway, it's not d-i-y related, wasn't marked OT: and so we will all get told off soon!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

cutting tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...
<snip>

And worse, they had left the keyboard autorepeat on meaning anyone pressing the button too slowly got a screen full of the same character (that they then deleted on by one, not using autorepeat).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Here in Medway we had some problems early in lockdown with despicable scumbags ignoring the advice to ?stay home and save lives?. They were often keen to pooh pooh the established scientific consensus around the spread of viruses but fortunately their selfish idiocy was in the shameful minority.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

you mean brian raey ? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Those machines, if they are like the ones I've seen about are pretty impenetrable. I often do wonder when folk design such h things who they get to test them?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

LOL

I think that's the closest admission Tim has ever given to say he was wrong.

Now watch him dig a bigger hole to justify his BS!

Reply to
Fredxx

You can be very unlucky and catch it from a single virus, but the innate immune system in most people is quite good at seeing off small amounts. Otherwise we would be succumbing to all sorts of random stuff. (like people who are immunosuppressed do)

It is a numbers game and the lower infection threshold for Covid19 is still not known (for ethical reasons) but is thought to be in the hundreds or low thousands of viruses before you reach a 50:50 outcome.

Although you are much more likely to catch it from entering your car number plate in on the fiddly impossible to clean keyboard and then rubbing your eyes. Astonishing how often people do this!

That is the common bottleneck in most NHS (and other) busy carparks.

Same problem with supermarket and bank machine PIN entry keyboards. (they were never designed for easy cleaning)

Reply to
Martin Brown
<snip>

Yup.

That must be frightening.

Ok.

Yup, see it myself. I carry a small antiseptic spray in my pocket all the time and when out dog walking and have to touch a gate or dog poo bin lid / flap, pedestrian crossing button or keypad we could have a quick spray 'in case' we touch or faces before getting home and washing our hands properly.

I helped an old boy pre lockdown who was struggling at a hospital carpark. All he wanted to do was visit his daughter who had been rushed into hospital and he was already frustrated / upset.

And stuff is no longer made of brass. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You are saying they test them Brian!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If I were asked to stay *at* home I would understand and try to comply. "Stay home" is possibly an Americanism, but I have no idea what it means.

Reply to
Roger Hayter