So who is the oldest 'old hand' here then?

screen...

I have such a printer behind me a Creed 444 teleprinter. The signalling is +/- 80 V @ 20 mA, 50 baud and 1 change per bit, 5 bit code with 1 start and 1.5 stop bits giving 6.6 chracters per second.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Meh ASCII art worked well but you really needed a roll fed teleprinter to show them properly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On 29 Mar 2015, "Dave Liquorice" grunted:

Yep, just like they STILL do for some bizarre reason in sci-fi movies or thrillers when they put text on the screen to signify 'modern' or 'computer output' or something...

Reply to
Lobster

But did you ever have a modem where you had to place the telephone receiver in it? And since they were from the US, take a UK one apart to make it fit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. I think my son has it now - he collects antique equipment.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I used one where the telephone receiver fitted inside (an 'acoustic coupler'). But a UK phone and a UK acoustic coupler to fit. Together with a teletype in a suitcase.

Reply to
Bob Eager

screen...

Not the "sit in two cups" variety of acoustic coupler but I did have an acoustic coupler. Extensible plastic bar with earpiece one end and mic the other with foam pads, velcro strap to hold the bar and ends in place on the handset.

I never used it or than possibly seeing if it worked but I don't remember if it did.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I must have developed his teleprompt reading skills, I accidentally subtracted a couple of years.

Good game!

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Still surprisingly common on 'minicom' type telephone terminals for deaf people.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

+1
Reply to
bert

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Ah those were the days. 1.5 stop bits.

Reply to
bert

The "acoustic couplers" took classic handsets but trimphones didn't fit. We used to install them at home for the "preggie programmers".

Reply to
bert