Any newsgroup reader recommendation(s), please?

Now that Google has finally and utterly loused up its Newsgroup reader, please can anyone suggest a workable alternative?
Yes, I have tried the 'new Google Groups' and that is even worse IMHO.
Before Google /groups came on stream I used my then ISP's (Demon) reader. With that one I had to save all the threads of interest on my own PC, which meant:
(1) I had to spot them &/or save all threads from a particular group.
(2) I did not have any means of retrospectively searching for other topics which later interested me.
(3) I had to write my own archiving programs.
Google groups WAS ideal because:
1. It provided a scrollable list of recent postings from the VERY FEW groups that interest me - and even within those there are very few topics of interest.
2. Picking on a topic showed a hierarchical list of threads
3. Provided a searchable archive of postings. No need to save anything locally unless of exceptional relevance or interest.
4. There was no need to monitor postings on a daily basis. (Holidays allowed!)
So what do posters here recommend as its replacement?
As simple an interface as possible please. Without a pile of computer technical stuff to circumvent. My needs really are simple & reading Newsgroups is not my prime aim in life, useful as they are.
BTW I have, at times, been a regular poster to uk.d-i-y but clicking on my 'Google Profile' attached to thread, shows the b*st*rds now have even lost my posting history. sic transit gloria
Many TIA for all thoughts.
jim wrote:

Well, first you'll need an account on a usenet server, if your ISP has one use that, or spend 10/year for news.individual.net, or get a freebie from e.g. eternal-september.org
Then you'll need software, there's Agent for a price, and several freebies, I'd say avoid Windows Live Mail (specifically the latest version) use Outlook Express if you must, but look at Thundebird, Pan Gravity etc ...
Quite a few use Thunderbird and/or eternal september, it's not the best, but good enough ...

I'm trying Thunderbird in parallel with my normal e-mail/news client. It needs a few tweaks, and it has a few minor limitations, but it's easy to use, and I quite like it.
--
Ian

On 11/04/2012 10:43, Ian Jackson wrote:

I find the key with tb is to setup a few filters, and that can make it far more useful and usable.
--
Cheers,

John.

Indeed - and it's pretty easy to set the basic ones. I've also had a play with the way the panes are displayed (to make it look very like Turnpike), and the fonts. Most of it is fairly intuitive. Anyone wanting to try it can simply run it in parallel with whatever they're presently using - just make sure to set TB not to delete e-mails from the server, once they're read (unless that's what you want, of course).
--
Ian

I use Windows Mail and it works fine. Sign up for a free eternal-september account and you're away.
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

You're using v6, it's reasonably well behaved (as is v14) the real problem is the latest "Live" version (v15) which makes no attempt to quote the message being replied to, making life difficult for everyone else ... I filter out all messages send using v15.

I can't speak for the Live version as I've never used it, but the "normal" version does exactly what I want it to, albeit with a bit of tweaking of settings. Although in fairness, some messages don't quote properly and I have to insert the >s myself.

v14 has a habit of forgetting which messages (email or news) have been read, then you think there's something new, and there isn't.
Also (and this has always been the case since Outlook Express), once you 'send' a message (which usually means put into the outbox), see that it needs editing, it will have formatted the text using hard newline characters; editing a paragraph then is a nightmare (you have to merge the lines into one again otherwise it will be all over the place).
And using formatted rather than plain text, you can't quote properly. But in all it does work, and any alternative will it's own problems.
--
Bartc

BartC wrote:

What do you think of wimquote ?

That's regarded as *working*?
Jeez.
I suspect the OP would do better dusting off his old copy of Turnpike.
--
Mike Barnes

It's still a lot more comfortable to use than a typical web-based forum.

For downloading in bulk, then perusing stuff off-line, that was pretty good. But that's really necessary anymore.
--
Bartc

In the MS world, I guess so.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 28th day of Discord in the YOLD 3178
"If there is anyone here who I have not insulted, I beg his

What happened to the software you were using with Demon?
Turnpike is currently unaffordable and doesn't work easily with Windows 7 64 bit but older versions may be OK.
Archiving is on your own machine.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

jim wrote:

You dont need to do that with a decent usenet server.

I prefer Outlook Express myself, but its no longer supported by Microsoft.
Thats no big deal given that it will run in the virtual XP on Win7.

Most of them have a simpler interface than the old groups.google.

You may find that the new groups.google is worth getting used to.

It does still show up with an advanced search with you as the author.

Even thoughts about your head up a dead bear's bum ? Funky.
: jim wrote: : > Now that Google has finally and utterly loused up its Newsgroup : > reader, please can anyone suggest a workable alternative? <SNIP> : > So what do posters here recommend as its replacement? : : I prefer Outlook Express myself, but its no longer supported by Microsoft.
+1 For plain text newsgroups, it does all I need.
Regards,
Him & Her wrote:

It can't be installed on anything after XP, which is why people are trying WLM.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson wrote

Me too.

It can be used on the virtual XP thats available with Win7.

Which doesnt even quote properly in the latest incarnation.
winquote may be viable tho.
Rod Speed wrote:

Not on this version, it can't. Mainly because it's the Home Premium version, which doesn't have the Virtual XP available, even as a download, without paying M$ a fortune for a key to unlock the code that's already on the HD, turning it into Pro or Ultimate.

There's a quote fix available for it, but I don't know or care which verion of WLM it's for.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

message : > : jim wrote: : > : > Now that Google has finally and utterly loused up its : > Newsgroup : > : > reader, please can anyone suggest a workable alternative? : > <SNIP> : > : > So what do posters here recommend as its replacement? : > : : > : I prefer Outlook Express myself, but its no longer supported by : > Microsoft. : > : > +1 For plain text newsgroups, it does all I need. : > : It can't be installed on anything after XP, which is why people are : trying WLM.
Unless I missed it, "Jim" hasn't specified his operating system just asked for a newsreader recommendation.
If WLM refers to windows live mail, my (albeit limited) experience of it from setting up others computers is it is complete and utter $hite.