Any newsgroup reader recommendation(s), please?

on other servers if you want to. It only downloads from one server at a time (or at least does with the settings that I use). You could configure it to check them periodically but I don't bother.

Reply to
Martin Brown

In the MS world, I guess so.

Reply to
Huge

But with the low cost of storage what are you worrying about. I personally need to store locally. Its mine I tell you mine!

Seriously, I guess the half way house is just to store the headers and only download the text when you view it. Most offline readers can be set up that way. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I find the key with tb is to setup a few filters, and that can make it far more useful and usable.

Reply to
John Rumm

Perhaps, but blocking the whole thing seems like a blunt instrument when its easy enough to be more selective.

You can require "no archive" on your own posts if you want.

The irony being that Google were the only people prepared to do that... Problem was Deja had no business model and required corporate sponsorship to survive, not a good foundation when your sponsor was DEC!

Reply to
John Rumm

Not that it will do anything though.

Reply to
dennis

Forte Agent (the paid for version).

It is reasonably simple to set up and the filtering provision is very good and easy to apply. As a long term advocate of Turnpike (since the early days of demon, prior to the original great news snafu) I eventually forced myself to look for a replacement when 64 bit windows became useful. I tried thunderbird but found it cumbersome so bit the bullet and bought Agent as a sound alternative to Tripnuke.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel

Indeed - and it's pretty easy to set the basic ones. I've also had a play with the way the panes are displayed (to make it look very like Turnpike), and the fonts. Most of it is fairly intuitive. Anyone wanting to try it can simply run it in parallel with whatever they're presently using - just make sure to set TB not to delete e-mails from the server, once they're read (unless that's what you want, of course).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Google only retains posts flagged like that for a week...

(note the google help page on this is actually flawed since it says you need a header of "X-No-Archive:" when in fact it needs to be "X-No-Archive: yes")

Reply to
John Rumm

on 4/11/2012, jim supposed :

MesNews is the best newsgroup reader I've ever tried. Thunderbird is also good. MesNews takes a bit of getting used to but when you have it mastered, it's wonderful. It is free and contains no advertising.

Here's the download link:

McGyver

Outlook express.

Here's how your post, and subsequent replies appear when in use:

you can magnify by clicking 'view raw image'

Lots of people will say OE's no good etc, but I've been using newsgroups for

12 years now and never been happy with anything else and I've tried most of the other readers
Reply to
Phil L

If you are on XP - Outlook Express. If you are on Vista - Windows Mail (which is so close to Outlook Express you won't really notice much difference). If you are on W7 - Google for ways to enable Windows Mail under W7. Apparently the executable is there so you just have to link to it so you can start it easily from the desktop, and then you have to make sure you have ownership of the target email folder.

Windows Live Mail is the spawn of the devil. I wish I'd discovered the Windows Mail thing a week back before I set up WLM for a friend on her Netbook. Can't face uninstalling everything and starting again and she's picking up the PC today anyway.

I will, however, try it out on my own W7 64 bit system.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

The only useful feature of GG, IMHO.

I use a scoring system to filter spam including certain keywords, email addresses, names and other factors. Anything posted via GG will have a higher score but will normally go into quarantine. I can read posts posted via GG, albeit delayed.

What are you emailing that the Sun would be interested in, I wonder ;-)

Reply to
Mark