So. Back to the W8 to W11 transfer

Everything on m,y desktop is down the right hand side, for programs that are NOT running, or on top for programs that ARE running.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This sounds vaguely like "photo or file deduplication". Or it could be a "sync or mirroring" function. Or it could be an "incremental backup" function.

The "tools" today, are not necessarily "primitives" you can bolt together to make a useful thing.

Generic offline storage could be File History. Plug in external drive, it saves out a "blob". It relies on human contextual knowledge, to recover materials later.

[Picture]

The Windows box, tries to copy some of the things the Apple box is doing, but neither box is doing anything "compelling". The Groove music player might exist, because Apple had iTunes. the Zune music player might have existed because of the iPod ("me too").

In the past, computers did things based on "primitives".

copy a b del a

it was up to the user, using primitives, to achieve a result. The previous two operations are equivalent to

move a b

So maybe I would say to myself, "I feel like moving a to b". But my hands would type the two commands in the previous paragraph, to achieve that result. That's stacking primitives for a result.

But computers now, in addition to still having the old primitives, offer composite functions intended for some "imaginary customer". A 4 foot 7 inch human with seven limbs and a taste for grunge music. In other words, the applications bundled with the OSes, satisfy no one.

So no, chances are slim of any of us collecting virtual coffee money.

And when I look at a popular web site today, with announcements of various flavors of tech candy, the same theme is still there. The bundling of NPUs (which costs the user more money), where it's not clear the NPU will do anything. I can show you similar cases, where I bought an expensive GPU for CUDA acceleration, then when I go to demo "how much faster it runs on a GPU", f*ck me if the application insists on using the CPU instead, and the control to switch to the GPU... is missing.

This is why we must resist the temptation to "buy garbage on spec", to buy garbage as a speculative venture. My GPU certainly has not panned out for me. Times I really needed it to work (as a password cracker), again, no bueno, would not use the GPU, worked on CPU... slowly. It predicted it would take

13 years to crack a password. Useful. Useful 13 years from now.

The Windows 10 graphics look better than the Windows 11 graphics. And that's about it in terms of backward progress.

I have a copu of Copilot (text chat) demo on my W11 taskbar, and it answers questions with waffle-answers that would make a politician proud. What "need" does that serve ? (Remember, I reviewed a copy of Eliza forty some odd years ago, so I do remember what "AI" looked like back then. The guy who did the port of it, in my high school class, today has a PhD in AI :-) Who'da thunk.) The portion of Copilot chat on the PC, is little better than "telnet", and the entire thinking/fabricating portion runs on a server in a Microsoft warehouse.

You need to rethink your application, in terms of the buzz words, and then see if anything matches such a description. Chances are, a third-party application can handle some of it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Cut/copy/paste are now in little icons at the top of the list. Was there ever a move?

(You have to join URL) will show you how to get full menu or just shift+right click.

has info on adding move/copy

only if you add it to the indexed file locations.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Indeed! Try looking at with a simple *user* mindset:-(

My current plan! is to have both m/cs running on my local network and have the W7 stuff available to share such that I can re-save it to the W11 box.

My initial problem is finding my way around in W11 without having the experience of the steps from W7.

Snip

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hmm. That sounds way beyond my skills. Once I get some familiarity with W11, I am going to attempt the *shared folder route*.

I may be gone some time! (Captain Oates!)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

When handling file copying, and synchronisation between folders, a program that I have found very useful is FreeFileSynch

You can configure it in a number of ways to do exactly what you want. I have used it in various different scenarios, both mirroring and updating. You can add filters, include/ exclude rules, decide which type of file comparison...

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Ok. Chris. I had wondered if differences in the file systems might cause problems. Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

So do it the other way round, share the new folders (with write access) on the Win11 box and use Win 7 to copy stuff into them :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Why it also made more sense to have the menu bar for every app rendered at the top of the screen and not the top of it's window...

Reply to
John Rumm

I think you under-estimate your skills! Open the settings application and type "indexing" into the search box. Choose "advanced Indexing" from the list which is the bottom of the list which appears.

You can then use the modify button to add you extra disk.

Once I get some familiarity with

Thats OK till your W8 box dies. If you want to find a file by name you can probably use the search in Explorer but its slower. Just open File Explorer , navigate to your drive letter, and put a name in the box...

Relax, you are not going to kill anyone

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Indeed. Endless meaningless fractions of the alphabet are likely to be the end of me though.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm still going to struggle up the learning curve and don't need access to old stuff very often. Keeping both boxes going seems easier than jumping in with both feet:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ultrasearch free is excellent and easy to use:

Jeff Gaines

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com writes

Hmm. Only suited for 64 bit architecture. Saved for the future:-)

Current urgent activity is creating 2 large timber planters for the shrubs gifted to the birthday girl! Have you seen the price of these things! So far I have planed up some Oak for the uprights and salvaged some treated tongue and groove board for the sides. I haven't yet worked out how to do the base as it needs to be free draining but support the compost.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The chances of someone running 2 similar programmes for a comparison must be fairly remote but the often recommended free search programme is Everything -

wasbit

+1 Used FreeFileSync for years Link is correct but earlier spelling is wrong - no 'h' at the end.
Reply to
wasbit

Oops! Corrected in the quote above.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

+1 I use it as well. The Free version does everything I need.
Reply to
Fredxx

I use some other Jam Software tools so I am happier with what I know :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Generally if I need to move lots of data from an old machine to a new one, I pull the drive out of the old one, mount it on a USB drive adaptor and just plug it into the new one.

Reply to
John Rumm