GPS oddity

I had to drive about 40 miles to a friends house today so I fired up the satnav - not because I didn't know the way, but to get earnings about traffic and speed camera,

It took about 5 miles to 'acquire' the GPS which was very slow, and it stopped working about 7 miles from the destination, and on the way back didn't reacquire the satellites till I was past the point it had packed in before. It also started to get very erratic as I neared my destination, with displayed road speed randomly fluctuating ±5mph. Then it packed up altogether...

Anyone had any similar experiences?

Is there something up with

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Aliens.

It's *always* aliens.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It sounds like too few satellite captures.

Perhaps the Americans have repositioned some of their satellites to give better cover over the Middle East/Red Sea and Ukraine, leaving fewer for us to pick up here.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I thought they were in pretty much fixed orbits and actually did give global coverage. It might be interference of course

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was told, many years ago, that the orbits can be changed, albeit slowly, to put more satellites over a given area, increasing the accuracy in that area.

Always possible.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Yes, Porton Down. GPS loses signal on way in and re-acquires on the way out.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Brexit reference?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

It's a Marxist plot. Did it keep telling you to turn left?

Reply to
Steve

MUCH more likely to just be a dying satnav

Reply to
Rod Speed

I found this with tv reception 30 years ago. I put it down to a lot of concrete just below the soil.

Reply to
charles

Concrete can't do that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Eejit.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Did they then try and sell you the Brooklyn Bridge?

Reply to
mm0fmf

I was doing user trials of a prototype GPS for Garmin in my aircraft and had no reason to doubt the information I was given by the engineer who fitted it.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

If you drive past the Kremlin, GPS will tell you you’re at Vnukovo airport, about 25 miles to the SW.

Reply to
Spike

It's the rebar in it.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

That's a very silly thought. Each satellite carries a fixed amount of propellant to fine-adjust its altitude and heading periodically. It will not have enough propellant to fly to a new orbit and then return to the old orbit. A satellite will eventually crash back to earth when it runs out of propellant to periodically correct its altitude and heading.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Rebar under the ground doesnt affect the TV signal.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Doesnt mean he got it right.

Reply to
Rod Speed

With mine, aquiring the satellites takes up to 30 seconds if I don't move off immediately, but a number of minutes if I don't wait for it to aquire.

I've only lost lock a couple of times and each time mine reaquired within seconds.

I don't rely on the road speed indication - I've had satnav, google maps and the car showing three different speed limits at the same time!

Is it a built-in satnav, stand-alone or on yoiur phone? If stand-alone or phone, some car windscreens reduce or even block the GPS signal and need an external aerial connected or an external and internal aerial to pass the signal inside.

Reply to
SteveW