Blown kitchen cabinet doors.

Hi, the doors on the cabinets above the hob have blown with the heat. My plan is to drill some holes from the rear and feed in some adhesive to fix the plastic cover to the mdf again. My question is which adhesive would be best? Or is there a better way?

thanks

Reply to
misterroy

Replacement doors

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You need a fairly fluid glue that you can drop into the holes, with the doors bulge side down, and then swill around. That implies a lot of solvent, but I don't see how that will evaporate?

Are there any very liquid two part glues?

Maybe remove the whole of the laminate and glue it back with ordinary contact adhesive?

Reply to
GB

Polyester resin as used in fibreglass manufacture. Holts is your friend Its one part plus a catalyst. Very liquid sets rock hard

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

'blown' is too vague to know what would work. In any case I'd not use water based glue, mdf, chip etc typically respond to water by expanding.

Reply to
Animal

I think I have some polyester resin. I used it for a surfboard repair, and yes it is runny. Another bonus it isn't smelly. I used a syringe to inject it into the repair last time too. Thanks.

Reply to
misterroy

I had a door with the plastic imitation wood patter skin detached from the mdf. I removed it and carefully separated it, sprayed t both sides with carpet adhesive, reassembled and laid it horizontal with a sheet of chipboard on top añd a couple weights. 24 hours later I reassembled the hinges and refitted the door.

Reply to
John J

Fascinating. I have exactly the same problem with my kitchen cupboard doors. Is carpet adhesive (say Copydex) better than Evo Stick do you think?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

I used the spray carpet adhesive. It smelt like an evostik type product.

Reply to
John J

OK,thanks :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

They are basically the same, just different viscosity of the glue

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought carpet glue was latex based?

Reply to