Ink Jet Transfer - how to

Does anyone know how to transfer an ink-jet printer image onto wood.

would like to "Iron on" a printed image about 4" x 6" onto rock maple

-- clare in brampton

Reply to
clare in brampton

Clare:

I've never tried this on wood, but I imagine it would work. Try one of the image transfer papers that are used to make T-shirts.

See:

found this locally at Office Max last year:
us know how it works

Reply to
GALBAN

search this group for the word 'transfer'. there has been several posts in the last few days about transfering images to paper or wood. Mike in Arkansas

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Flatten the maple really well and use iron-on transfer material from your local office supply store.

--RC

rcook5

If you have difficulty with those 2 links, then click on the shorten versions:

Bobby Bewl ®

I've had success with "T"shirt iron on transfers. Just keep the iron moving so as not to scorch the wood. Have a good one John

Reply to
John

The T shirt transfer paper will likely work but be aware : a) Minimize the "blank" area. This paper does not transfer the ink, but rather melts a plastic film which contains the ink, onto the T shirt or in this case wood. Any blank area from the paper will then melt onto the wood, which will hamper staining/finishing. I would cut out as close to the image as possible using an Xacto type of knife. b) If you are finishing the wood, do a test to see if this material is melted by the solvents in the finish. c) Another reason for testing is to see if the resultant colours are to your liking. Pigment based inks, such as ink jet ink, are designed to be used on white material. Even grey paper causes a major shift in the apparent colour of the inks, which can make an image appear very undesirable. Although maple is "cream" it will still result in some colour shift.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

Sure, as long as you're talking about black-and-white line art -- use any decent computer graphics package to reverse the image. Then print out the reversed image on your inkjet, and photocopy it. Then iron-on the photocopy.

Doug Miller

Go to an Internet art supplier and type transfer in the search engine. Try this one.

don't know anything about any of the things offered. I don't know how they act when finish is applied over them.

Also do an Internet search on lazertran. It looks interesting.

If you're looking for the cheapest way to do a decal where you can go to a hobby store and buy one individual decal sheet instead of bulk from the Internet, see my recent post about using decals to transfer images to wood or metal.

Stewart

Reply to
Stewart Schooley