Smartmeters

There was quite a flurry of threads here regarding smartmeters recently, so people might be interested in my recent tinkering with them ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm looking forward to the next installments.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Me too

Reply to
Tim Watts

As someone who works on this sort of thing there is no way you ever encrypt stuff that is transmitted between components on the same board (or from mother to sister board). This just isn't a "normal" risk case.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The data being snooped has been received from the electricity meter over

868MHz by the daughter board, I am working on the assumption that the daughter card just receives "packets" and slings them to the main board for processing. Out of the box there is a pairing process between meter and display, so it's possible that stores a key in the PIC's EEPROM.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah 868, I was wondering which of the many bands the RF chip could operate on was working. Thats within the coverage of DVB-T USB stick receiver, if we ever get a smart meter I might snoop the RF like I may do with the various 433 MHz stuff I have here.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You might find a USB TV receiver dongle useful for that, by using it as an SDR (software defined radio). Lookup SDRSharp.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield