We want an installation company that can do this!!

It's how a wireman, rather than electrician, does things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could you fix your sig so that it:

a) has the correct introducer (hyphen, hyphen, space)

b) doesn't talk about non-existent emails

Now.

You'll all have noticed that most of these cables appears to be unlabelled. Without a labelling system so you can find each end of the same cable, and a database telling you what a given cable is supposed to be connected to at each end, ISTM that you are buggered.

Anyone read the comments? I saw people bleating about how all these ties would have to be cut to add a cable - overlooking that everything was already cabled up.

I got fed up with people back at HQ "designing" rack layouts on the assumption that all cables are infinitely thin and require no space. And the refusal to contemplate using a wiring person so that the cabling could be done properly (all the cables in the pics will have been individually sized by an installer).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Hmmm

Reply to
Tim Watts

Very neat. And expensive. I wonder what it looks like inside the cabinets?

Reply to
harry

The big problem with all that is if there's a fault, there's no bit of "spare" wire to pull in. So any repair will be very expensive.

Reply to
harry

One lesson learned after going round the country doing similar (not quite as anal) work for years is that when you go back three months later after the local IT people have been patching you might as well not have bothered in the first place.

Reply to
Nick

You need strict control and ownership.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Which would be in the hands of those local IT persons.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

*applause*
Reply to
Huge

Doesn't work.

Reply to
Huge

Does, but its hells own inefficient. BTDTGTTS.

Back in the day working for companies doing military design and production, you want to change something. You raise a change note. The change note gets assessed and then authorised, the manager then circulates the change note to everybody affected, and schedules a date for it to change and gives a new issue number, on the day the circuit/procedure/'whatever changes everyone who has a record of what it used to be like, must update their records to what it *now* is like.

In the toilets, above the toilet rolls were pinned little cartoons of people wiping their arses with the caption 'the job isn't done till you have done the paperwork'.

Anal, inefficient, but effective.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They shouldn't be holding such records. That is what the database is for. If people need to know, they they can have read-only access to the db. The person making the physical change gets to update the db.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And what have they been patching?

- NAS Drives

- Wireless Access points

- Random Printers

- IP Cameras

These if there is a local PC World around the corner, credit card and idle non-IT department hands employed. Configured as they work out of the box, nice and secure (not) :-(

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I'm *so* glad I'm retired.

Reply to
Huge

More like 'move' a cable from my experience.

Someone somewhere needs the port at the back of their desk plugged into some 'other' system or that single port fails on the switch?

I used to have it 'neat' but not inflexible.

I also tried to keep the mains cords away from the data.

And of course, all this depends on the role / environment, and if there is a patch panel between the structured wiring and the equipment ports.

If you have say a large telesales floor then the chances are 99% of the users will all be patched into the same service and unlikely to ever change.

If it's a small development lab (where most people there know what they are doing) then it's more likely to get moved about so left more like an old corded telephone exchange. ;-)

I helped a mate setup his office in a fully managed building. They charged for nearly everything *except*, use of the structured cabling. Soo, I got them to cross patch a few of the patch panels at the comms room (well, I did it myself in the end) to save me having to run cables around the office (the desks were grouped in islands).

So, The 'Internet' might come in on a double floor port 1 and go into their router WAN port. From there it would go from a router LAN port to a 5 port switch with one port going back to floor port 2, up to the comms room, patched to port 5 and then back down to floor port 5 by the next group of desks and another 5 port switch (and the 3 PC's there). Back out of the switch into floor port 6 and again onto the last group of PC's via the comms room. ;-)

A lot easier than running more trunking around the skirting. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , Tim Streater writes

Good luck with that. Large organisations have many large offices, many groups of staff, contractors and sub-contractors with different projects, aims and ICT needs. Stir in the usual, reasonably sized proportion of humans that DGAF and those that want their new piece of kit ratified and on the network yesterday, and any control system shortly ceases to work. That system can then be used for the easier task of herding rabid cats.

Reply to
Nick

The last time I did any box stitching was on the strowger exchange that served Dave Plowman's area of Balham (Old Devonshire Road to be precise) and that would have been about 1966, after that the PO succumbed to cable grids over the equipment and cables were just layed (slung) over the top, although still stitched when going up or down to other floors.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I run many projects in Data Centres - this is typical new work standard in the better centres. Unfortunately if it is a customer owned facility on premise or a CoLo ... it starts becoming a mess after the first server swap out, or re-patching.

I have seen 2 real nightmares ... one in a in London where the number of CAT5 cables plugged into front of rack were grouped to several bundles about a foot in diameter ... looping up to trays at ceiling level .... became so heavy it pulled the whole rack over, and ripped tray off the ceiling - taking out a lot of International data. The workaround was rope hanging from ceiling to take weight of CAT5

Another had added so many cables over the years without removing the old ones that the floor tiles would no longer lie flat .. thousands of cables in a giant spaghetti .......

Reply to
rick

Nice idea .. but if a server goes down at daft o'clock in the morning on critical services .. focus is on getting service back up ....... and it s only takes a few 'temporary' patching exercises to get back into a mess.

Reply to
rick