Smart Meters - the Telegraph's take

But it costs you more bawbees, wee Jock McSpeed.

Di ye nee ken that you're talking to the geniune article in wee Davey there ?

michael adams

michael adams

I did read somewhere that smart meters cannot tell the difference between import and export so clock up all the solar you are putting into the grid. I like the sound of that. I've just booked you a smart meter install Harry.

Reply to
bert

The only reason we need demand management is because of the obsession with stupid renewables. There is an infinite supply of electricity in the universe. All you have to do is rotate a piece of wire in a magnetic field FFS. The only overhead is the distribution infrastructure which amounts to stringing a few more wires across the countryside on pylons and a few transformers. I have throughout my lifetime had a continuous supply of the stuff as much as I wanted whenever I wanted it. You call this progress? Tell the greens to go f*ck themselves and build nukes.

Reply to
bert

In article , michael adams writes

Quite

Reply to
bert

Apparently they've installed millions in Italy for a fraction of the cost by giving the job to the distribution companies.

Reply to
bert

Only a brexiteer would believe that.

You might get him on the actual export rather than the deemed export if he has a smart meter.

Reply to
dennis

No it's not. Matching demand to supply reduces generation & infrastucture costs.

On earth there isn't.

I think you'll find in both cases there's a good bit more to it

I doubt that

call what progress?

Nukes are the CO2-free option. Demand management will at some point be cheaper - that's all it is, a money saving measure, IF implemented when it saves money. Given the political nature of society I expect it'll be implemented before then.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You read wrong. But they won't work at my house anyway.

Reply to
harry

Tch. Export meters are only fitted to 30Kw+ installations.

Reply to
harry

Smart meters record export.

Reply to
dennis

I thought it was liquid helium that was used. Liquid N is pretty cheap.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Not as much as renewables which requires double the generating plant. We match supply to demand constantly right now.

Really what is the limit?

Not a lot.

Having to organise my life around electricity supply.

Reply to
bert

Drivel Why would they?

Reply to
harry

Some commercial enterprises do that. I did hear that there was a move afoot to use hospital emergency generators.

Reply to
harry

s-mri-scanners

It is. But not everything.

Reply to
harry

Because they do.

Reply to
dennis

of course they make it worse, but demand management has the potential to im prove costs either way

clue: it costs. Maybe you have infinite money, or delusions thereof.

ookay

you don't have to nor will you when demand management gets here. You can carry on as ever, im mersion heater adjusting itself automatically, or you can if you choose tri m costs by delaying some things. The unemployed will presumably do the latt er. Or continue running out of money all the time.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

harry

ricity-every/

You don't get anything for nothing shit-fer-brains.

harry

Rotating a piece of wire requires energy.

More than is produced by rotating the wire.

Obviously.

As otherwise there would be no "energy problem" would there ?

michael adams

michael adams