Smart Meters

The answer is money - you simply have to move to a pricing model that gives the user an incentive for using the facility.

In a similar way to peak charging for industrial premises - most that I have visited have pretty strong internal controls managing compliance.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Ha. Ha. "Real" men are not strident, opinionated, egotistical bullies who insist on getting their own way, right or wrong.

Though I'd accept that inadequate men may have admired Thatcher. (That's usually the way that such people do get their own way: they're surrounded by inadequates, and have a good press officer.)

John

Reply to
Another John

The ones that were trialled used RF switching so most people wouldn't know how to bypass it, and why would they want to bypass it anyway?

A few hundred megawatts could help stabilise the grid when set off against the wind turbines.

Anyway smart meters are useful as they don't need to send a meter reader out as often, combine that with the need to replace all the meters anyway and it makes sense even if you don't use the smart bits.

Reply to
dennis

Are you using it for space heating? Mine is

Reply to
dennis

not if there is as much intermittent s**te as the Germans now have. Right now we have a 2GW pumped storage station and another 500MW of hydro that is generally running at around 500MW that can cope with surges.

Smart grid is another 'EU' idea concocted in the fantasy think tank somwhere. Its simply another way for crap German product to be made mandatory across the EU for no reason beyond its another way for Germany aka Siemens to make money out of the EU.

we don't need to replace all the meters.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
whisky-dave

Because milk is an important source of Calcium, in a country where the diet was shown to be deficient in Calcium across most social sectors and where uptake is known to be much more effective the younger you are. In the older age group, removal of the milk made some difference, but nowhere near as much as in the younger age group. The legacy of Thatcher and her milk snatching will become more apparent in the coming years as that age group affected by her f*ck you attitude encounters increasing cases of osteoporosis that was almost entirely preventable.

The harm that Thatcher caused this country was immense and it continues to permeate almost every aspect of our country today. She should have been swinging from the gallows for treason decades ago.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Yes, while she eneded her days in the Ritz, my mum's in hospital where they can;t managed to put a bit of pickle in her turkey sandwich.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well said, sir. My own view, expressed a couple of years ago in another group, is that Thatcher (and of course her cackling cronies) took two of mankind's worst weaknesses -- selfishness and greed -- and turned them into "virtues", in her version of 'society'.

John

Reply to
Another John

Calcium uptake is strongly related to vitamin D - something which we as a country [1] seem to be low on.

Milk was also an important source of iodine - partly from the use of iodophor teat disinfection, partly inherently.

There has been, I believe, a switch by many to chlorine-based teat disinfectants, and a lower consumption of milk. We appear to be seeing lower iodine levels at least in younger females. Which might also be having its impact.

[1] UK but especially Scotland.
Reply to
polygonum

whereas Tony Blair took ego, selfishness greed AND INCOMPETENCE and turned them into virtues, washing over the selfishness with 'you deserve it, it's your right' and the greed with 'you deserve it, its your right' and the ego with 'you are as good as anyone else' and the incompetence with 'as long as you BELIEVE its right, it is right!'

Been a long time since a politician appealed to peoples BETTER natures.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You want salt and vinegar on that chip?

Was then or is now?..

Have you anything like a peer reviewed or published paper anywhere to back that up at all?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Ours is I think around 5 watts or whatever it is on standby. We hardly seem so use it anymore probably the programming has something to do with it;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I'm not about to disagree with you! New Labour compounded Thatcherism.

and

Reply to
Another John

And to think he claims to have no heating when he is using electric heating.

Reply to
dennis

Or Churchill

Gallipoli

Reply to
alan

Oh an the striking miners thought they could sponge off the country for the rest of their lives in their overmanned, underperforming, uneconomic mines? Putting out their lying propaganda to this day.

We would be living in a Soviet/North Korean state today if it weren't for Maggie.

Reply to
harry

The TV is on for around four hours per day. I use it as a computer monitor. The main problem is that it is on in the evening when the PV panels aren't working.

My next user is the freezers though they are A++ rated. Used mostly for garden produce. I have fitted them with a timer to shut them off for part of the night, so they run more by day. I have turned the stat lower too.

You need to check stuff out with a KWh meter to find out what's what.

Reply to
harry

So you don't have a TV/freezers/lights/computer etc?

Reply to
harry