smart meter portability

SMETS1 meters must either be upgraded to enable portability, or replaced with SMETS2 meters by the end of 2020, about 1/3 of existing SMs are expected to need replacing.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I understood that there was a further issue with the security of the comms protocol even with SMETS2 meters and my speed reading this paper did not seem to mention this. Whilst I could imaging the SMETS2 meters being software upgradable to meet the more secure comms requirement, it seems difficult to imagine the SMETS1 meters that are migrated to DCC operation being capable of software upgrades Anyone know about this side of it?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yes we knew that two years ago and then all the companies suddenly tried to fit their stock no doubt so the Gov would have to pay for the upgrades. Nothing fitted here yet. The big problem just as with the Railway debacle is communication between the government bodies and the energy companies on the state of play on this. They all went ahead with a half baked system and forgot stuff like portability and accessibility of both hardware and software, and the result as is usual, is a shambles. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Back then it was a consultation, yesterday's document says that the suppliers' licences will be modified to make them do it, so by 18 months time, losing smart functionality when changing supplier should be a non-issue one way or another.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Spot on, a shambles indeed!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Andy Burns explained on 05/10/2018 :

So come this November and a supplier change, I will get my fourth pair of smart meters, then yet another pair of replacement meters in November 2019.. Will this be a record?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why do you feel the need? I have let mine become dumb and they can stay that way now, at the time I got them fitted I was usually out when the meter reader called, now I'm not, the IHD still works so that saves me from disturbing the spiders to take readings ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have so far had the same model meters and IHD each time. The IHD doesn't provide meter readings and most of its functionality fails, as I swap suppliers. So each swap involves me in disturbing the spiders for a while :')

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I wonder what that will do to the cost/benefit figures.

The document quotes 5.7 billion to 2030 when last done in 2016 so presumably excludes the costs of this SMETS1 to 2 upgrade. 5.7 billion from 2016 to 2030 is only 380 million/year...

The next cost/benefit is due in 2019.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Do you mean how much it will cost us and how little benefit we receive?

Reply to
Max Demian

existing

Aye, as in other post the last cost/benefit analyais in 2016 came up with a mere 380 million/year, bugger all in terms of Govermental spending.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice