Small bits of steel in the UK by post.

I'm looking for say 10*12mm*1m square bar. (I don't especially care about what sort of steel, it's a rail to run bearings on, and won't be stressed)

The only online steel stockist that I've found that delivers (to Fife, postcode KY7) will do this for around a tenner, which is quite reasonable. (

) And 150 delivery, which is rather silly.

(admittedly, 20 quid in many areas, which doesn't help me at all.)

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Robbo

B&Q do stuff like this, although I only found it recently, so they may have only just started it, failing that, a hardware store..forget online considering it's only a metre...expect to pay £3.43p in B&Q, probably less at a hardware store.

Reply to
Phil L

don't ask for 10*12 _square_ bar. They'll send you to the stores for a Long Weight. "Bright mild steel flat" is probably a better starting point.

I've not checked their delivery charges.

Reply to
Autolycus

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Ian Stirling saying something like:

Look in YP and find a farmers' supply store. Farmers need bits of steel quite often for repairing gates, machinery, etc. Even if you're in a town, there's bound to be one somewhere within car distance.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Have shop4steel deliver it for =A320 to a friend/relative south of the=20 border, and then have them post it up to you?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sorry, I should have been clearer - 10 * 12mm*1m square.

I think I'll end up phoning round and finding if anyone stocks it locally in whole lengths, and turn up with a hacksaw.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Have you tried RS?

Reply to
John Rumm

My nearest steel stockiest is 30miles away It still works out much much cheaper for me to go and buy complete lengths rather then pay for cutting and delivery. Try yell.com

-
Reply to
Mark

That is based on sending a lorry, probably their own, with the stuff in 20ft lengths.

The weight would be about 12kg. Provided it has been cut to length, a local carrier would probably pick that up for you for £10-£15. The cutting charge will push the price up a bit though.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Our steel supplier is happy to cut lengths or to let Spouse do it, it makes sense.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They've done it for some years, at least in the bigger stores.

Also try model engineering suppliers. I was going to suggest Chronos but they only do 12" lengths.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Yes, they apparantly only stock 18 carat steel.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You could try contacting this guy:

will sell you 500mm lengths, but I note the aluminium bar can be supplied up to 2m so you may be able to get longer steel lengths too. Delivery is quoted per order.

Alternatively, contact a local high school or tech college and see if you can find out where the metalwork shop gets its supplies.

(I am looking out of my window at 4-7m lengths of 483x305 "bar", but you might have to bring your own fork-lift and suitably large car, and then draw it yourself...]

Reply to
John Laird

I saw him. Unfortunately, at 30 quid a meter, and I need 20m, it's by far cheaper to pay the 150 delivery! (I'm not sure that there isn't some reason that his is worth it - just that whatever it is isn't worth it over any other steel) He does have interesting stuff, and some of it is reasonably priced.

Hmm, that's a good idea.

Tempting. I think I'd really need a rolling mill though :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

We have one of those too, but I'm not sure if they work along the B&Q style lines of bringing your raw material along and waiting for it to be cut to size. Sadly.

[I calculated the weight of a 1m strip of 12.5mm square section at about 1kg, does that sound right ? I would've thought shipping 10kg wasn't the most difficult task - tape them together and stick a plastic cap on each end to protect other packages and Robert's your Dad's brother. That little lot would cost somewhat under a tenner coming out of the mill, by the way.]
Reply to
John Laird

Yeah - I realised I need some more stuff - 20mm*20mm square hollow section too, for it to run in. So that tips it towards wandering along somewhere with a hacksaw, or more likely small genny + angle grinder.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Never turn down an excuse for a new tool :) Even if it is a bit on the large side.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Edinburgh suppliers, Brown and Clegg at Sighthill, be aware of =A320 minimum charge, if it costs less than =A320 they just charge you the 20 and don`t tell you, not the most friendly.

Blakes in South Fort Street;

remember name in Broxburn, generally cheapest, will ask and post when have the name.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

A tad. Although the rod mill is shorter than the bloom and billet mill which is the best part of a mile long. You might need to get BCO approval before erecting it in your back garden.

Reply to
John Laird