slowing down on a motorway

does anybody think that you should slow down on the inside lane of the motorway before joining the off ramp?....if you do you are most annoying....you should only slow down in the deceleration slip lane and not before....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

It rather depends on what the traffic ahead is doing. Although these days I rarely need to drive in a motorway, when I do, I often see traffic stationary (or very slow) even on the carriageway simply because the junction is clogged up. 'twould be folly not to slow down...

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I think Jim was talking about those people on a freely-running motorway with an empty slip road, who think that they need to brake to 40 in Lane 1 before moving onto the slip road. On a motorway with an *uphill* sliproad, I usually come off the power as I am leaving Lane 1 and let gravity slow me down, before starting to brake as I get closer to the roundabout. On a

*downhill* slip road, where gravity works against you, I start to brake as I come off Lane 1.

That's assuming there is no other traffic on the slip road which may mean having to slow down earlier or brake more.

Reply to
NY

yip...all the wummin drivers do it east bound at junction 26 on the M8 ....because they are heading for Primark and the Braehead shopping centre ....and their heads are full of broken bottles .....

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8662515,-4.3753372,3a,75y,49.75h,98.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdobyNpf1yytE5N2VolDEdQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

We are spoiled in the UK with our relatively long slip roads. I'm sure many of us have found ourselves having to brake quite hard on a continental slip-road.

Reply to
newshound

try doing that M2 J6 (and several others) and see where it gets you

tim

Reply to
tim...

I prefer the more accurate US usage of "acceleration lane ..."

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It depends on the length of the slip road. Some are far to short to decelerate from 70MPH safely.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I only leave at J6 in dire emergency (pile-up near J7)!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Less than 100 yards? I doubt it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

lucky you

tim

(pile-up near J7)!

Reply to
tim...

If, as sometimes happens at the Channel Tunnel, the inside lane is full of stationary lorries queueing to get off the motorway, I would definitely recommend it. ;-)

Reply to
nightjar

I'm surprised you hadn't asked if people indicated left before driving down the exit slip road.

Is this the usenet silly season, like the papers suffer from in August?.

Reply to
Andrew
<snip>

So, spend £10 on petrol to buy some £2 teeshirts ?.

Reply to
Andrew