Slightly OT: Reginal News TV transmissions in HD

It amazes me that the BBC inserts coming up next announcements into most drama or film end titles, often rabbiting over poignant end music etc in case any viewers might dare to consider changing channels in those few minutes. However is fine about showing repeated idents for quarter of an hour or so during local news. Ironic as this DOES cause me to swap channels, and rarely to the SD version of local news.

Reply to
Richard Jones

Love to know what you swap to that doesn't do this. Perhaps a DVD of your wedding?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

BBC South (ITV Meridian region) is the same.

Reply to
Andrew

It's the same even in London the local london news is in SD. There's about 11 -15 mins (including whther where the 108 BBC HD channel just shows a red screen with text.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Same here (Gloucester)

Reply to
newshound

I think there is a pattern emerging here. All of England ('Regions' in BBC language) has local news on SD only. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland ('Nations' in BBC language) have local news on SD and HD.

Reply to
Scott

I'd say it is because those countries have lots of opt outs from the national service. So the HD service tied to the SD one at all times. To do that for the English regions for just local news would require lots of additional circuits for very little use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He changes to any other broadcast channel presumably. Only BBC1 HD shows a static card during local news.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I would say so too, with a soupcon of politics thrown in.

Interestingly, BBC Two Scotland is not carried on HD but will be closing anyway when the new channel (which will be on HD) commences next year.

Reply to
Scott

So maybe broadcasters should have *more* regional opt-out programmes.

I'm not bothered about seeing local news in HD, if it really is such a big problem. But what annoys me is that the BBC can't even manage to show local news in *SD* on their HD channel, which wouldn't require HD links to the central hub, just equipment that can insert the SD equivalent (which presumably they already have) into the HD feed for the relevant transmitter, so people who watch everything else on BBC One HD don't have to change channels to get the local news.

Better would have been for the BBC to adopt the same network topology as ITV has so it can insert regional adverts. This would allow them to distribute local news in HD as long as the studio has been upgraded to HD.

Reply to
NY

Like the old regional ITV stations? Not what the Tories wanted by selling franchises to the highest bidder. And allowing one of their large fund providers, Carlton TV (with one D Cameron on the board) to take over many of the smaller ones. All of which reduces the money available for minority interest programmes, since profit is now the primary reason for ITV, given it is no longer forced to make a variety of progs. As once was the case. And since the BBC is expected to compete for the largest audience, they've gone to a certain extent down the same road.

Is it really such a problem to press a button on your remote control?

The BBC have out sourced things like transmission. On the insistence of government. The costs of running a more versatile system would come from the licence fee. Leaving even less to be spent on what we watch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm just quoting from BBC News web site to illustrate the non-existence of Cheshire. It does though list Cumbria under North West.

bert

Probably, you multiply the required HD distribution by the number of different opts there are, which is something between 12 and 18...

You can't simply strip out the network BBC One from the multiplex as it "passes through" and replace it with something else as the multiplex's are statisically produced. ie the bit rate of each channel changes dynamically partly goverened by what bit rate the other channels in the multiplex want.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How odd. The BBC Regional News from Caldbeck is definately orginated from Newcastle and does cover stories from (most of) Cumbria. Does the BBC Regional News from Manchester cover (all of) Cumbria as well or just the southern bit that falls under the Winter Hill transmitter group?

Chesire looks to be totally coverd by Winter Hill so is "Manchester". Storeton does a bit but that carries Manchester as well.

The groupings used on that linked page look to me more like the regional political ones than broadcast ones. Cumbria does fall into the "north west" under those rather than the "north East".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes but if what you are replacing it with is a lower bit rate (SD rather than HD) then it doesn't matter. For the times of opt-outs, assume a fixed rate that has sufficient headroom without being greedy. Does *any* English (*) region/transmitter get local news on BBC One HD, or does everywhere get the same "please retune to SD" caption that I do?

ITV can do it: each of their transmitters has different adverts, so there must be different data streams being merged into PSB3, alongside BBC One, BBC Two, CH4 and Five, for each transmitter. So why can't BBC do it with regional news opt-outs?

Or does ITV HD have the same adverts for the whole of England (*), unlike ITV SD? I'll have to record both stations at advert time and have a look...

(*) I'm assuming that Wales, Scotland and NI have their own arrangements, in the same way as they do for BBC local news.

Reply to
NY

You can, and they did ! Pre DSO the mux distribution went via each BBC regional centre, everything except BBC 1 was stat-muxed, BBC 1 was CBR (at 4.0 Mb/s IIRC) to allow exactly that.

However, since DSO the mux dist goes nowhere near the regional centres (for BBC or ITV). All muxes are centrally encoded, and the regional studios feed the mux farms, (rather than their local TX)

Network BBC 1 SD passes through each BBC region, and the output goes off to the mux farm.

ITV take it one step further, the network feed goes nowhere. It stays in Chiswick (for the south) and Leeds (for the north) and the regional ITV centres are remote sources into those two playout centres. The playout centres perform the opting as a multiple router salvo.

Word on the street is that the BBC will replicate that idea, to enable them to provide the regional news on BBC 1 HD.

Reply to
Mark Carver

Because that would require spending money on extra codecs etc to enable more split feeds for BBC 1 HD. They have done that for BBC 1 HD in Scotland, Wales and NI, (because they have far more opt out programmes, than the English regions). It's all down to cost/benefit. ITV have done it for some of their regions, but only where the cost of regional ads on HD make it financially viable.

See above

Reply to
Mark Carver

That would seem an eminently sensible way of doing it. I wonder why the BBC didn't do it ITV's way right from the outset of HD. Regional opt-outs for news have always been around, and there are other programmes like BBC's Inside Out that are regional. As a matter of interest, what does BBC One HD broadcast when SD is broadcasting Inside Out? I've never checked... Does the mux farm have multiple programmes (one per region) which are inserted into each region's PSB3 multiplex (the one with BBC One HD). Is the problem that BBC One HD can't have regional variants (even if the programmes are sourced from playout that is local to the mux farm) or is it that they don't have technology for each region to send its live news programme to the mux farm in HD, only in SD?

Reply to
NY

Ah, so some ITV regions have common adverts for the HD feed, rather than ones which are unique to each region or even each main transmitter as for SD? I hadn't realised that.

Reply to
NY

Sounds good. (As you say later, ITV manage it.)

I was about to say "sort of, for London": I've noticed that if I watch the BBC News channel (231) during Breakfast, I get the London local inserts. But then it occurred to me that 231 is SD - and I can't find "BBC News HD". _Is_ there a "BBC News HD" on FreeView? In my guide, every single prog. on channel 231 - including "Click", which I think is unique to BBC News, certainly as many times in the week as it's on - say "Also in HD" at the end of their description. []

Reply to
J. P. Gilliver (John)