Slightly OT: HCl for Descaling Toilet

I'm no chemist but IME limescale is soluble in any acidic solution. Doesn't mean there's a quick fix if you've allowed it to build up over months, but overnight in vinegar does the kettle nicely

Reply to
stuart noble

Yebbut overnight in "a place where the acid runs off" HCl is better than vinegar, phosphoric or sulphamic acids, becuas eit is much faster, IME. This is for places like the thick scale in the plastic bits and pipes of a cistern, round the bend, etc.

I find HCL works so much faster that runoff is less of a problem. Any splashes on chrome will leave a permanent mark, though.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

ISTR H2SO4 eating brushes more slowly. Could be wrong though, it's been a while.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr