Slightly OT: Ethernet switches

I have used half a dozen or so[1]. Some have been running seven years

24/7 now. Only had one throw a wobbly. [1] May have been DES1024E rather than R
Reply to
John Rumm

Well the problem's we've had with fans have been in some rack mount Band 1 radio link transmitters and satellite receivers and VoIP 4 wire modems....

Not in Network switches!..

Reply to
tony sayer

FWIW I've switched to Gigabit at home. Small Gigabit switches are about

20 quid new.

Suck it and see. How much will it cost to replace it if it goes phut?

Reply to
Bernard Peek

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

Some (managed) switches shut down unused ports to save power.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

A lot of things go for silly prices on ebay. I've managed to exploit this sometimes myself. I once sold secondhand motorcycle boots for more than the new price.

You might get away with it but I wouldn't risk it. You could replace the fan with a quieter one but I would just buy a quiet one in the first place. I have found the Netgear prosafe range good (the ones that look like a switch rather than the ones that look like a prop from Blakes 7).

Reply to
Mark

I have a Netgear DS516 which howls away like a banshee. Or did until I disconnected the fans.

Reply to
Huge

My 24 port switch (can't recall the exact model no -- maybe the JFS524) is very quiet.

Reply to
Mark