Sliding on leather furniture Q ...

SWMBO uses a wheelchair and of late, transferring to and from our sofa has become a bit too exciting :(

One of the issues is that it's a genuine leather sofa. And despite the leather feeling smooth to the touch, it appears to take on an infinite coefficient of friction when arse touches it.

Have tried a few materials to aid "slippiness" but they are equally stuck fast under weight (SWMBO weighs under 70Kg ...)

We're investigating transfer boards, but I wondered if there was anything that might be suitable for a sliding cushion so that she is closer to the chair for the transfer.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A bit more digging, and the answer seems embarrassingly obvious - to use something slippy folded on itself !!!!!

Duh !

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Range sell little mats (about 14" x 22") that are plastic on one side and furry stuff on the other. The furry side slides nicely on polished surfaces. We use them on the kids' slide.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

What is the clothing made of? Also is the sofa soft?

French chalk but it makes one heck of a mess. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Do you let the kids use them too?

Reply to
Geo

There are mesh squares available from car accessory shops. There are meant to rest on the top of the dashboard and prevent items placed on them from sliding around. A large enough piece might be suitable

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

In April I went to a funeral. The family car was a Jaguar and was very posh. Even as it was very slowly driven, we had to grip the leather seats to prevent us sliding all over the place.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

A rug or blanket usually works for transfers in and out of a car.

Failing that a plastic bin bag is surprisingly effective.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Those do the opposite, STOP things sliding.

Reply to
Andew Jones

We try to persuade them to use the mats but they prefer to wear out the arses of their pants.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Except she might slide off it.

Look at Sliderz - little ones. We use them for getting a visitor's wheechair around a tight corner in out house.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wrong 'sense'. He wants more slippiness, not less.

This signature is broken. It needs to be TWO dashes and a space to conform to standards. Might seem a little things, but it stops it being quoted automatically in replies (which is why I noticed it).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Do cars use a better grade of leather than sofas, perhaps? I think people expect a car's seats to last pretty unscathed for 15 years.

Or is it simply a different grade of leather? Harder, and with more polish on it? If this was a funeral director's car, it probably gets lavishly polished all the time.

Reply to
GB

And utterly pointless when applied to a newsgroup message.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+
8<

Its pointless to say any message has been scanned before sending as the recipient shouldn't trust it. A hacker would say it was virus free if he was trying to get you to open one.

You have to remember to set the damn things to off when you have a major update and they turn their advertising back on.

Reply to
dennis

I saw some thin plastic sheets for rolling pastry on that were about A2 sized last week. I think it was in poundland but it may have been asda.

Not the silicone ones as I don't think they will be slippy enough.

Reply to
dennis

He sprays them with PTFE?

Reply to
Martin

Once again, you want something that is 'grippy' on one side and 'slippy' on the other. Sliderz are good for that.

We have four small ones - used for the wheelchair, and occasionally for moving furniture. I have seen our building manager use the big ones, and he says they're great.

Bob Eager

Before he died my Dad bought me a nice comfy chair for my study.

The arms are suffering. it appears the leather is covered in a thin plastic layer, which is now peeling off.

My car seats are fine, 140K miles on.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Some "leather" used in upholstery is a composite of shredded leather fibres held together with something like PVC. :-(

Reply to
Rob Morley