Sink plug problem

Got a 3 year old sink in the bathroom. The plug is a flat disk at the bottom about 2 inches dia. You press it once and it stays down, keeping the water in, and press again and it pops up to let the water out. Every so often I unscrew it and remove the gunk underneath. Now the plug won't stay down to hold the water, and won't unscrew so I can see what's wrong. Has anyone any suggestions on how I can tackle this please? TIA, |P

Reply to
goodolpete

It's called a 'clicka waste' and if it's got jammed it's likely failed internally or the spring has dislodged or has debris stuck in it... Maybe limescale has seized it. If you can't unscrew the insert then you will likely need to remove the whole thing from the basin. Then you can try and get it working or better still get a new one... They're not expensive.

HTH Deano

Reply to
Dean Heighington

Lump hammer...

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Everyone who I know has had one of these has given up after five hears and fitted a traditional drain and 'manually inserted' plug. When you think about it, the mechanics are in the one bad place for getting messed up with all manner of nasty substances. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No its a wet environment, so it has to be none electrical:-)

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

SNIP

limescale has seized it. If you can't unscrew the insert then you will likely need to remove the whole thing from the basin.

Can you tell me how to remove the whole thing please?

Reply to
goodolpete

What's wrong with a pressure washer?

(thinks... that might even work... but the redecorating :O )

I'm with Brian on this.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

You need to get underneath the basin. Remove the trap so the bottom of the waste thread is exposed. Then remove the (plastic) back nut that holds the waste in the bowl. Once nut is off remove waste from inside the bowl. Silicone will likely have been used so you'll need a wrench and a craft knife to release everything. Replacement is reverse if the above and use new silicone.

Hth D.

Reply to
Dean Heighington

THANKS.

Postscript to my query. Got home last night ready to tackle problem. Missus says "Oh that? I gave it a massive thump with my fist and it's worked perfectly since."

The triumph of Iggerance over Bliss!

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELPFUL REPLIES.

goodolpete

Hang on! Where did ur missus learn about the "thump of divine intervention"? She's not seeing a plumber on the side is she?? ;-)

Reply to
Dean Heighington